I made a phone case

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by NormL, May 3, 2013.

1. NormL
    NormL Member
    I know, I know, kind of ordinary, but, I wanted one. I modeled up my Samsung Galaxy S3 a couple of weeks back, then modeled some tire tread and then an Atom logo and sent it in. I like it! I did blow the location of one of the buttons, but, it is still close enough. Fits like a glove, tight and snug. My big issue is now my wife wants one for her phone ... of course not an Atom either :laughing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The balance of the colors on the photo's makes it look much lighter than it is. It is tire rubber grey and is very uniform in color. Maybe if I knew what I was doing with a camera, well at least these pictures have very little thumb in them.

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Nice work!

What material is it?

3. NormL
    NormL Member
    Black WSF

4. trishycakes
    trishycakes Member
    This is really cool. I have been thinking of making a case for my iPhone and never got around to doing it. Did you seal it? I would defiantly hit it with a coat or two of lacquer or it's going to get dirty.

5. NormL
    NormL Member
    No I didn't. Just thought of it earlier today. thanks for the reminder!

6. AmLachDesigns
    Thx for the info. I know you said this (above) but it almost looks like alumide, and I thought that would be too brittle. But if it was alumide and that worked, then that would be useful for me...but it's not.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  7. NormL
    NormL Member
    You think Alumide would be too brittle? I have only printed once with it and you may have to go just a bit thicker, but, I would think it is do'able. Obviously, I do not need to properties of Alumide here, but, if I needed a high heat phone case I would try it.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Alumide is much stiffer, and thus more brittle.

Great job on the case!

9. NormL
    NormL Member
    Your points are well taken, but, I still think if we didn't have the variants of WSF, we would be using Alumide. Yes I know it is WSF based.

I tried a different direction over the weekend. Not as pleased with it ... I didn't model the sipes in the tread blocks and maybe I should have. Then if I model them do I do that as 0.5mm slits or do I model the walls and the floors, ... decisions

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Touareg in gray has to do with how I raised the photo and it is very hard to change the color now, at least in Inventor.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. NormL
    NormL Member
    I got the Treg case today and it is better than the Atom one. I really like it.

and yes I did seal it this time..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Youknowwho4eva
    Wow that does look really good! I'd like to see it in the new flex material. See how well it takes black dye.

12. NormL
    NormL Member
    Thanks Michael! Placing and backing all of those sipes was painful. I really like how the raised picture did not lose much detail either

13. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    What allowance did you have to make for shrinkage, or did it print as modeled?

14. NormL
    NormL Member
    That is the question isn't it. If you look at the model that Shapeways made for the iPhone 5 and made for download it is right on the design dimensions. https://www.shapeways.com/model/713686/downloadable-iphone-5- bumper-9-25-12.html?li=productBox-search It leaves no room for printer error. That error for WSF is 0.15mm +/-. I just could not design something that tight, that in my mind would fit slightly better than 50% of the time. I know it is flexible, but, 100% does not seem possible to me, especially with a fully backed case. I offset the printer error amount and came back in with contact domes of that same height placed many times within the print. It did make two very nicely fitting cases so far. We will see as I test more.

15. lensman
    Thanks. Haven't tried making anything yet that needed tight spec's. I don't see how people can do it knowing that on each print there could be a slight difference in size... On the other hand, if printing shrinkage is CONSISTENT each time I suppose I could live with making test prints first.

Can anyone out there CONFIRM consistency in printing shrinkage (using same material each time, of course) ?

16. AmLachDesigns
    Even if the difference between the model dimensions and the print are consistent (is there always shrinkage? Is the print ever bigger?) you can still get warping, and if your print is polished the effects of polishing are far from uniform. Let's not even start on orientation and which printer you get (not all printers at SW are created equal!).

Trial and error is the order of the day, but without printing loads of copies how can you ever be sure what is the norm and what is the outlier?

17. lensman
    Yes, well I was hoping that someone would have been through all that and could provide an answer :)

18. AmLachDesigns
    Well perhaps Shapeways could/should tell us ...

They have the machines (for at least some of the materials), they control the orientation and polishing machines, and they have access to a very large number of prints and the models they came from.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  19. NormL
    NormL Member
    That is a great thought

20. Youknowwho4eva
    I'll bring this up in the community team. We are looking to do new video's upgrade tutorials and FAQ.