Complete n00b here needs advice as a Rhino user

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 343823_deleted, Apr 28, 2013.

1. I haven't used Rhino for almost 10 years. I have a simple design but the rejection emails you get as to why the model won't print are too vague for a rookie like me (first model for me).

Here is a screenshot of the project I'm working on. I uploaded a .OBJ file that was rejected. I made sure none of the parts were touching and that the parts were also of minimal printing size, so I'm not even sure where to start.

Thanks for any help guys, much appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Can you share the file? Or, we would at least need to know the dimensions and what material you're trying for.

3. Yes, I will gladly share the file. Let me know if the OBJ isn't the format you're looking for.
    I was going to try for stainless steel if possible. I am looking at Accutrans and checking some things with that in the meantime since this is my first go. :)

Thank you!

Attached Files:

• TB4.obj

File size:
      561.7 KB
      Views:
  4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    I tried to open this in Meshlab. It is just a point cloud model.
    Try uploading as an STL file

image.png

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  5. Thanks Jacant.
    I'm brand new to the 3D print world. I looked at the software list and supported file types on the website, that's why I thought it would work :)
    I will upload the other file type and report my findings tonight.

6. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Steel or other metals won't allow interlocking parts and the minimum dimension has to be 3mm
    Regards
    Vijay

7. Bummer! I wasn't aware of that rule about interlocking parts with metal :(
    In that case, I'll have to abort this project.
    Thanks for the info. My girl is going to kill me for not having something for her birthday present, lol.

Back to the drawing board.....