Weekend Contest #10: Combining materials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Youknowwho4eva, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I see lots of cool items every day here on the forums. The creative solutions are fascinating. One thing I rarely see, is items that require 2 materials. So I'm wondering, what could be made using at least 2 of our materials. It doesn't have to need to be multiple materials, or be a finished design complete with assembling features. But what would you make? I know I've seen figures with WSF bodies, and FUD for more detailed areas like the head. What else can we do?

You have until Tuesday morning, 10am GMT+1 to come up with your selection.

How to enter

Design, share here, and explain. They will be judged on use of materials, and awesomeness of the idea.

What's the prize?

$25 to use towards your creation, or any other Shapeways purchase.

That's all?

Put on your thinking caps, I know you all will impress us!

Mike

2. FabMeJewelry
    FabMeJewelry Member
    This is a chance to show off some of my old designs that didn't sell even one time :cry:

Rotating click-in Ear Tube & CustoMe Pendant :

Combining Materials (FabMe Jewelry).jpg

THIS IS NOT A ENTER

3. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    I am trying to use stainless steel (my favorite material) in combination with plastics for functional items.
    I have designed a static Gear Cross pendant and I was thinking of making a kinetic one.
    So this is what I came up with the opportunity of this challenge.

4b.jpg

The clip-on plastic pieces will be used as axles for the revolving gears of the cross.

4. GarySG
    GarySG Member
  5. Youknowwho4eva
    @Fab Me Jewelry- Love your pieces! good show of what is possible with multiple materials. Any new idea's for the contest?

@Innovo- ah good one, so your looking to do the backing and gears in stainless? Pricey with multiple pieces not being available in stainless, unless you attach them together, to machine apart when it arrives? Pricing aside, that would look great.

@GairBear66- Nice design. It may be 2 materials, but is not in the intended scope of the contest. I know you can design something new using multiple materials!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. ivanf
    ivanf Member
    1:160 scale station building and platform in WSF, doors, windows, shutters and roof in FUD. designed by me, built and painted by a chum for his layout.

model at http://shpws.me/mOxZ

674x501_808333_791710_1359811085.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  7. Youknowwho4eva
    Very nice work!

Here's my idea, too bad I can't win.
    A stache switch blade. Even though it's more like a Swiss army knife, it's for switching staches.

untitled.1374.jpg

8. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    Yes, that's the idea even though I was under the impression that multiple pieces are ok in a file, if it's a set (like cufflinks)? It's still a nice project for me but not a viable selling piece, otherwise...

9. wedge
    wedge Member
    The Modell is not new, I am not sure if this is allowed.

I created it as part of a Christmas gift for my girlfriend: I build her a Lego diorama to remember our first's dives together. We did these dives in an indoor dive center and one of the features in the pool was a Shark Monument. To remember our first dives together I build the diorama from Lego. But Lego do not have a big knife to create a Shark Monument...

To be very close on the original Lego Idea: Have separate elements and every element has one color, I decide not to paint it. It is also easier for potential buyers, when the product can be used like it is Printed from Shapeways and do not have to be painted. Full Colored Sandstone has no Metal color.

So I had to spilt the Print in two parts: The handle is printed Black Strong and Flexible and the blade in Polished Alumide. Both materials look great.

So the basic Idea is simple: use the original color of the different materials:
    [​IMG]

The whole diorama
    [​IMG]

The Orginal:
    [​IMG]

the Both Parts:
    blade: https://shpws.me/nvEN
    handle: https://shpws.me/nvEO

10. FabMeJewelry
    FabMeJewelry Member
    Thanks @Youknowwho4eva, i love the StacheSwitch as well !

I didn't want to enter due to the lack of time, but you've triggered me so here it is :eek:

CustoLED :

Multi Material Led Light.jpg

Top = Stainless steel Gold plated
    Middle = Frosted Ultra Detail
    Bottom = Stainless Steel Bronze

Everybody has their own taste, some like gold metal some like black plastic...
    This LED light is designed with the possibility for customers to choose different materials for each part so that the 3D printed CustoLED will match their interior style !

After receiving the product from shapeways there are only a few things left to do

1. Insert a Led tea light
    2. Take a seat
    3. Read a 3D printing magazine !
    4. Share the magic !

11. FabMeJewelry
    FabMeJewelry Member
    If i could use materials that are not (yet) availible i would make a catapult* of WS&F and Rubber :D

If i had a service like this when i was still in high-school I'd probably would have been expelled :twisted:

*only to use with soft things like paper balls !!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  12. Here's my shot:

"The Eye of Horus is a mysterious symbol, summoning protection from evil, bringing good fortune, and ensuring the health of the bearer. That this symbol has endured over 3000 years is testament to the craftsmen of ancient Egypt, who using innovative technology of their time, carved this symbol from precious stones. With this modern interpretation, I hope to capture that essence and channel it into the glowing face of the amulet.

This piece is designed to be printed in 3 parts - a Stainless steel casing, a transparent resin insert, and a Stainless steel back cover. The casing is the main component, relying on the strength of Stainless steel to protect the heart of the piece. Cradling the life of the amulet - a lithium-ion battery and pure white LED - the transparent resin insert is held in place by friction, using micro-beveled edges to aid the initial fit. Additionally, the resin acts as a diffuser, transmitting the glow to create the Eye of Horus in pure light. The piece is completed with a rotate-to-lock back cover, inscribed with the hieroglyphics of an ancient Egyptian blessing.

While we may never completely understand the arts of the ancients, I hope The Eye of Horus - Remixed brings you favor, just the same as its predecessors brought the builders of the great pyramids."

Exploded view:
    Eye of Horus combo sm.jpg

Render:
    [​IMG]

13. What software did you use to design that piece denali3ddesign?

14. All in Sketchup. The render was also done in Skechup, using a render plugin called Twilight.

15. Youknowwho4eva
    Sorry for another late decision, but we have picked a winner!
    FabMeJewelry, we have picked your LED candle holder.

The existing pieces are all wonderful, but we didn't want to give an advantage to existing models when others only had the weekend.
    Innovo and denali, very good pieces, you guys didn't make the decision easy. The LED candle holder was picked as the most feasible in the materials specified. Innovo, I think if you sprue your gears together, you'd be able to get it printed. It would require some clipping and cleaning but you could get it to work. Or if you offered it in allumide instead of steel. Denali, The text concerns me, along with the supports in the eyes. The locking concerns me too, but I didn't take that into account as I said you didn't have to worry about assembly in such a short contest. I wish I could give you guys a gift code to prove me wrong!

16. Congrats, FabMeJewelry.

Michael, I agree my design would work better with a higher res printing technology like laser sintered titanium...maybe I'll do that once I strike it rich :D Thanks for the critiques.

17. Youknowwho4eva
    I wouldn't mind one of those printers myself. Only need to save up another $650K

18. FabMeJewelry
    FabMeJewelry Member
    Cool thank you @Youknowwho4eva, all there's left to do now is cut out some patterns to make it more beautiful and affordable, maybe we'll do a christmas edition only the future knows ? :D

All great designs, we especially love the Gear Cross pendant and would love to see The Eye of Horus light up !

You all still have a chance to win the code, we will soon start a FaceBook Win campain and will post a link here when it's starting :cool:

Thank you all !

19. FabMeJewelry
    FabMeJewelry Member
    So, after reading into some of the regulations of facebook we've discovered that you cant really ask people to share and like your page to win something, win campains are only authourised via a page apps and you would have to make it clear fb has nothing to do with it.

So we only mention to spread the love :D

Your chance to win a Shapeways Coupon code of $25,-

FabMe Jewelry dotcom.jpg

20. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member