Blender STL Upload Problem

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 341369_deleted, Apr 16, 2013.

1. I'm having trouble uploading my blender.stl file onto shapeways. I've looked at my model and can't find a problem with the 3D model that is causing the problem can anyone help me?

Here is the email that I'm getting from Shapeways everytime I try to upload the file

Uh oh! Seems like your model needs a bit more love before our robots can work their magic.

The 3D model DJHead6 you recently uploaded didn't pass all our automated checks, so it's not yet ready for 3D printing.

The file is in the attachment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Hi Joel,

your model has a few issues, and it's not obvious (to me, but I'm no expert) how to fix them.

I think what may be useful is to suggest how to make the model again (in general terms), so that it does what you want. This is just how I would do it, there are undoubtedly many ways, and probably many better....

1. Use the original cube and make it the size you want;
    2. Go into Edit mode and select all Vertices (The 'A' key toggles between all and none selected);
    3. From the Mesh Tolls menu use Subdivide several times. This will split the surface of the cube into many squares;
    4. Deselect all faces/vertices ('A');
    5. For each of the face features select the appropriate model faces. E.g. for the nose select the ones in the middle of the cube's face;
    6. Extrude those faces as you wish;
    7. Do the same for the ears, but extruding twice;
    8. Go back to Object Mode;
    9. Add a correctly sized UV Sphere and position it;
    10. Select the modified Cube again, and add a Boolean Modifier: you want the Union operator and the UV SPhere Object;
    11. Apply the Modifier;
    12. Repeat for the other side;

What you now have is a 3d model that should be uploadable to Shapeways. Select just the Cube object and try! (You can delete or ignore the spheres now.)

But you hollowed your model which is good practice. An easy way to do this is as follows:
    a. Go into Edit Mode;
    b. Delete the bottom face of of the cube;
    c. Select the four vertices of the bottom of the cube;
    d. Press 'E' for extrude and Esc to stop the extrude, then immediately press 'S' for Scale. As you move the cursor you should see the newly extruded edges move in and out in a square on the plane of the bottom of the cube;
    e. Almost there!
    f. Now apply a Solidify Modifier. The thickness should be whatever you wish it to be depending on the material you are hoping to print in. Leave the Offset at -1.

Hope this helps, good luck!