Geordi LaForge VISOR ring

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by roofoo, Apr 16, 2013.

1. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    I'm very pleased with how my ring turned out in the silver. Even my mom wants one and she's not a trekkie. :D
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/934676/geordi-laforge-visor-r ing.html

Geordi_ring1.jpg
    Geordi_ring4.jpg

I used a Caswell plug n plate kit to electroplate the "spokes" in gold, for some accents. I think it adds some visual interest and is closer to what the real visor looks like.

Geordi_ring_gold.jpg
    Geordi_ring_gold2.jpg
    Geordi_ring_gold3.jpg

Hope you all like it! :D

EDIT: If you're interested in getting a gold plated one, I'm selling them in my Etsy shop. https://www.etsy.com/listing/129697840/star-trek-tng-geordi- laforge-visor-ring

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. FabMeJewelry
    FabMeJewelry Member
    Really love the design, think it's time to beam me up into space ? :eek:

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Very nice. And after some 4000 views I can't believe someone hasn't already asked you this: Can you explain/show some more about how you did the plating?

Edit: By the way - 4000+ views and posted just one day!! How the heck did that happen? Did you post this elswehere with a link back to it?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  4. lensman
    I just answered my own question above - LeVar Burton himself re-Tweeted about this ring... Is roofoo really Phil Nolan? Very clever....

5. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    Wow, way cool! No I'm not Phil Nolan, but thanks to him for tweeting about it! I guess I need to get on this twitter bandwagon eventually. :p

I used this kit for the electroplating.
    Basically you connect the negative terminal to the shank of the ring, then the wand connected to the positive is dipped in the solution and then brushed on the areas to be plated. I used a fine tip wand to reach in the small areas.

6. lensman
    Thanks. Not a bad little kit. I would be a bit afraid of the bottle of solution expring before I'd used it all, but I guess if you saved up enough jobs...

7. Psychobob
    Psychobob Member
    Seriously cool sir! Fantastic job. The plating was certainly a nice touch to the ring!

8. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    Thanks! Yeah, it was my original plan to insert some brass spokes and solder them in, but then I figured it would be easier to just plate the silver. :p