Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Gerard, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Gerard
    Gerard Member
    I am looking for a way to create a brick wall texture for my Sketchup model in H0 scale/ 1:87 in Sketchup 8.

Can you please advice how to create a texture?

Thanks in advance!

2. Gerard
    Gerard Member
    Many thanks. I am wondering how the texture would be printed. I mean, how will you see the joints of the stone (hopefully translated well).

3. If you print it in full color sandstone, you should be able to see the joints.

If you are asking about creating depth or the joints so you can print in FUD(or other material), then that's a different question than I understood. In that case, you'll just need to model the joints - tedious but effective. In either case, you'll likely need to exaggerate the brick size somewhat to be able to see the details...look over the specific guidelines for minimum detail for the material you'll be printing in and calculate from there how big to make the bricks so they'll be visible.

4. Gerard
    Gerard Member
    Appologies for the misunderstanding. It is indeed about the depth of the joints.

If I understand correct, I have to draw all lines manually in my draft to create the "texture"?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  5. Yes, but you can achieve it pretty quickly by copying brick-sized rectangles around the wall face, then push-pulling the joints (which will be one face if done correctly) all at once. Does that make sense?

Capture.JPG

6. Gerard
    Gerard Member
    Yes it does make sense. Many thanks.

7. Gerard
    Gerard Member
    An update. I have tested this but it seems to be a lot of work. It will cost a lot of time because my design is quite big with a lot of windows etc. This means I can't simple copy bricks because they will overlap the windows. This will cause the windows will be "closed".

I will investigate other solutions. Probably you, or other members got some tips :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

8. If you have Pro, you could use the Solid Tools to subtract the joints in one boolean operation. I don't know of any faster way to do it in Sketchup free though...