UK Orders in GBP please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 324959_deleted, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Hello Shapeways

I have recently been using your company and found that when ordering from the UK I can only view the costs in EURO and not GBP. While this isn't a major problem it quite hard to estimate the real cost until after making the payment. The difference isn't much but it would be nice to buy in GBP.

Also while i'm here it would be fantastic to have slow delivery which costs less then the standard delivery to also help reduce costs.

Thanks
    Stu

2. Whenever I want to see something in my own currency, I google it like this: "150 EUR to GBP", it will show you how much it is instantly without going onto another site.

3. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
  4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Works great.
    Don't try it in edit mode though, You will be waiting forever.

5. bartv
    bartv Member
    HI staticbuddha,

thanks for bringing that up. Regarding currency, our first priority is to properly support Euros everywhere on our website.

Bart

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Just reverting (or changing) so that6 users have the choice would be good. Even though I am in the UK, Shapeways pricing is a static value in USD and it makes sense to display the true price in USD no matter what choice of currency customer chooses to pay in.

Paul
    (p.s. I'm not a fan of the Euro and will avoid it when I can)

7. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    I live and work in the UK. I get paid in GBP, pay my bills in GBP. If I shop on the internet I pay in GBP or USD. I have no need or desire to use the Euro. In fact the only time I even see a Euro is when I am on holiday.
    So you are presuming that because we are part of the European Community we use Euro's.
    WE DON'T.

8. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey JACANT,

Not really, but we simply have to make choices when developing our service. We decided to start with USD/EUR and may be adding other currencies later.

Bart

9. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    That is not quite true.
    When I first joined Shapeways there was an option to choose the country and currency of where one lives.

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    Ehh, really? You could choose ANY currency on our site? I really can't remember that anymore :-/

11. stop4stuff
    Bart,

The choice of using either USD or Euro ended with the advent of InShape2.0 last August (2012).

Paul

12. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    All I am saying is as the thread started "it would be nice to buy in GBP."
    That said, why do I have to use EUR. I would prefer the price to be in USD
    I don't use Euros

13. bartv
    bartv Member
    Yeah, I hear you :)

We're working on bringing THAT part of currency selection back - so you'll have the choice of seeing everything in USD or EUR, and not have it forced on you because of your billing address.

Bart

14. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    Oh...... the little Englanders are out in force today.............

I can't see why USD is any different to EUR. They are both foreign currencies. Perhaps Shapeways should take the lead here and price everything only in Renminbi

15. Hi All

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to my reasoning behind my original post

To be honest its just from a money point of view for me

As I have ordered around 100 individual items in one order, I really need to see the per each cost as Im a business and every penny counts. I can of course estimate the exchange rate and divide it by the amount of objects per order but this is difficult as it not very accurate to my banks exchange rate and could loss several pounds depending on what day I upload the model to what day I order it if the exchange rate fluxuates

My bank also charge me £1.20 for every non GBP transaction

So for me its just the fact that I lose a bit of money and its hard to calculate the per each cost until the transaction has been completed and I have been given the exchange rate.

Cheers
    Stewie :)

16. stop4stuff
    Grow up!

Shapeways advertised price is USD.
    Shapeways shop payments are USD.
    The advertised prices are static in USD as that is Shapeways pricing.

When I received a 'sold' email the amount is shown as Euros, by the time 6 or so weeks has gone by the amount that I am paid is not the same as the amount in Euros.

When I want to buy something from Shapeways, I have to use PayPal's conversion to pay in Euros - this is not the same as Shapeways conversion rate.

It does not matter that I am UK based, (or even a ' little englander'), it is my CHOICE to used the currency I am comfotable with (in this case the advertised USD)

I shall say this to you.
    Leave your comments at the login page and, please, be a little understanding about where this matter is coming from.

No dis-respect or anything.

Paul

17. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    'touche'

Thank you Paul

Rob

18. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    Currencies can go up as well as down.

The same would be true if you bought from Shapeways in USD

You do indeed have many more choices than you suggest. You could order stuff from UK suppliers, or US suppliers and pay import duties instead of VAT. Or you could just open a euro account at a UK bank and pay Shapeways from that. But the bottom line is that Shapeways gives you a much better deal than you can get anywhere else and you are still wingeing about a few coppers.

19. seriously can everyone stop getting so heated and personal over this.

Shapeway is a fantastic company and it just constructive criticism to ask to pay in our own currency and to be paid in your own currency without lossing out to currency exchanges and bank charges.

We all love 3D printing and all love shapeways, business is business and every penny does count unfortunately especially when some of us are spending money which breaks the bank to take a risk in a new business such as i am.

Peace to all,

Stewie :)
    :rolleyes:

20. stop4stuff
    I so do no 'whinge' about coppers - I am friendly with many Police Officers. (uk coinage these days is mostly copper clad steel, and not the propper old skool 'bronze' coinage that ended in 1993.

I so do not whinge about currencies or conversion rates.

I shall point out to Shapeways (yet again) that the ADVERTISED price is in USD. What I pay or receive is not the ADVERTISED price.

Today chatting with the manager in my local ASDA store got my kids a free 15 pack of Mini Cheddars, why? Bescause I pointed out the error in their ADVERTISED price for the product. They were advertising (i.e. point of sale, shelf edge label = POS SEL) a 15 pack for the price they tried to charge for an 18 pack... nit picking you may say, however ASDA know they could be slapped with a hefty fine from the OFT for that behaviour.

Nuff sed.

Bye.
    Paul

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013