Steampunk themed 'Geared Cube' Desk Toy

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Maundy, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Maundy
    Maundy Member
    I love the ability of 3D printing to print moving parts and 'trapped' parts within 1 print provided the 0.5mm gap between separate parts (in WSF) and I have been experimenting with this ability in many of my designs and this latest design I designed to really test the limits of this ability to 3D print moving parts in 1 print.
    It was an ambitious idea to have 28 gears all turning from manually turning just one of the gears but it works!!!
    First the description copied from the product page:

'Here is a design for all you steampunk fanatics and fans of all things mechanical!!!

The 'Geared Cube' is a steampunk themed desk toy consisting of a cube with 28 gears, all of which rotate in a mesmorising pattern by just rotating one of the gears (although rotating two is easier and produces a smoother motion). In the middle of the cube is a tray that can be used to hold paperclips and other small things. This object is 3D printed as one piece, already fully assembled when it leaves the 3D printer!

The design also comes with a stand so it can stand up on a desk and a lockable lid which is placed on the top of the cube and is locked and unlocked by rotating the gears (the lid locks at the centers of all 4 sides below the gears in the lid). Interchangeable mechanical add-ons may be designed in the future that can be put in place of this lid and driven by the rest of the cogs.

How it works...
    This design consists of a cube with 28 gears, on each of 4 sides of the cube are 7 gears: 2 large outer ones that move in opposite directions, the outermost gear has handles on it so it can be easily rotated, the motion between the 2 large cogs is reversed due to 5 smaller gears set within the cube in a similar layout to a planetary gearbox to reverse the gear's direction on each of these 4 faces. Each of these sets of gears on the 4 faces are all liked through the big gear on each of the 4 faces meshing at 90 degrees with the big gear on each of the 2 neighboring sides. This means that if any one gear is spun, they all spin in a memorizing pattern.'

***New YouTube video of the 'Geared Cube' which has now been lubricated with a PTFE lubricant***

***Now Motor Powered!!! Check out the YouTube Video***

Below is the initial computer generated animation:
    animation.gif

IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1757.JPG

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Shoot! The excessive clearance seems to be hampering the movement quite a bit. I wonder if a mechanism could be designed that provides backlash compensation, yet is still able to be printed in situ.

Great work though! :eek:

3. Maundy
    Maundy Member
    I have just lubricated the cube with a PTFE lubricant (which can be used on plastic) all over and it has improved the quality of the motion of the cube considerably!!!
    Please check out the new YouTube Video of the lubricated 'Geared Cube'...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. TheCeladon
    TheCeladon Member
    Nice. What software do you use?

5. Maundy
    Maundy Member
    Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013

6. Maundy
    Maundy Member
    *Now Motor Powered!*
    I have just got round to taking a video of a motor attachment I made for the Geared Cube so it can run autonomously, this attachment consists of a 6 volt battery, 6 volt geared motor, reed switch and small magnet, small length of stiff wire, piece of fiberglass sheet, some Kevlar thread, couple of washers and some electrical wire.
    When the small magnet is placed near the reed switch, the motor starts which rotates just 1 gear which rotates all 28 gears.

Check out the YouTube Video

Motorized Geared Cube.png

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  7. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Cool! :eek: