Working with screw and/or bolts/nuts... help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 142715_deleted, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone could possibly point me towards some tutorials or just offer some general advise on working with screws and/or bolts/nuts and the different material on Shapeways.

I am really new to the 3D printing process ...but I'm not new to 3D.

I'd like to know if people have tutorials on how to work with things like this (apposable hands):
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/256652/rotf-leader-starscream -posable-hands.html?li=productBox-search

I'm well versed with Maya so keen to understand how accuracy works with already having the screws and ensuring they work correctly and fit ...or is there another way people do this.

Really appreciate any help.

Happy Easter.

Thanks
    Nick.

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I've successfully had printed 7.7mm dia x 32tpi threads in Strong & Fflexible, however there's no guarantee of the print orientation and the option of small, medium, or big printers used for WSF. Generally smaller items would go in the small printer, and large items in the large printer. The accuracy and toerances are best with the small printer, worst is the big printer with as much as 0.2mm deviation within a print. There's a lot of uselful information in Bart and Alan's January Shapeways Live which helps in understanding some of the limitations of the technology.

Threads should also work well with Fine Detail and Frosted Detail with Frosted Ultra Detail having the best accuracy, however being acrylis, the materials are more brittle than S&F.

As for poseable hands, get inspiration from what's already been done, the model you linked to is pretty easy to work out the mechanics, but it would take a couple of trials to get the right ball & socket dimensions, the same or +0.1mm for the ball should work but as mentioned before for S&F, there can be some deviation in dimensions.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

3. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
  4. Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply, very helpful.

I was hoping to work with stainless steel if possible. Is that going to be difficult and working with screws?

Poseable joints was just an example ...I am more interested in the process of successfully working with screws so I can print in separated pieces and end up with something that can be assembled and not fall apart or be loose.

Many thanks.

Cheers
    Nick.

5. Great link ...this was also really helpful. Thank you :)

Cheers
    Nick.

6. stop4stuff
    Stainless would be a no go really because of the print tolerances, although it would be possible to drill the material and use a threaded insert.

Paul

7. Sorry for the confusion... that link I didn't actually read close enough. I assumed the designer actually printed the entire model ...not just the hand.

So apologies for perhaps a super basic question... but "... possible to drill the material and use a threaded insert." ...any chance you might be able to explain this a bit more? Do you mean a hollow area where I glue in a threaded insert which I can then use to screw into?

Thanks Paul for the advice :)

Cheers

Attached Files:

8. stop4stuff
    Yep, either glued in or drilled to just the right size for the insert to be a tight fit.

Paul

9. Excellent thank you :)

Have you experience with this sort of thing i.e. I presume you wouldn't use a hand drill and would need some sort of special clamp and then special drill bit ...along with some sort of way to measure depth. Any chance you might have some suggestions on equipment? I've been just randomly googling but it seems overkill what i've been finding.

Many thanks Paul.

Cheers
    Nick.

10. stop4stuff
    I've no direct experience with drilling Shapeways Stainless, but I have drilled out broken high tensile bolts from various car parts over the years with just an ordinary mains powered drill - most mid range DIY drills come with depth guage and bits, you'd need a vice to hold the parts and maybe use some kind of cooling fliud.

Paul

11. Awesome thanks Paul!