Blender: From a modelled grid to a solid object

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by kirys, Sep 10, 2009.

1. kirys
    kirys Member
    I all, I'm new at this place (not very used to blender).
    I would like to make a key chain with a extruded logo.
    I found a tutorial on how to use displacement image to mold my keyring the result look like a vacuum formed shape but it almost like what I have in mind.
    The problem is that i'm using a "grid mesh" so the keychain is actually only a thin layer, how can i make it a fill object?
    Thank You
    K.

2. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    In edit mode {Tab} hit {E} then select {Region}.

This extrudes the Face(s).

That what you where after?

3. kirys
    kirys Member
    Ok I'll try to explain what I want to do.
    I've designed a logo using gimp, and I want to make a keyring out of it.
    The logo is an image that i want to "extrude".
    I've used the displace modifier on a grid mesh and obtained the attache image.
    But the image as an unwanted rectangular border, it's empty in the back, and have too many triangles.
    I wanted to cut the border and fill the back so I've tried to make intersect the image with a cube.
    The result is filled but I cannot use decimate cause the shape is not more a "manifold".

Ho can i do this in the right way?.
    Thank you
    K.

Attached Files:

4. bartv
    bartv Member
  5. kirys
    kirys Member
    I' was thinking of that as a latest resource, I'll make a last attempt and the map and the if It does fail I'll go with the "redraw" way (the text part is not a real font so i'll have to redraw it all i'ts going to take a lot of time).
    Maybe for be more "print friendly" I should make the font filled and not outlined and everything inset instead of raised.

6. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    Bart is right of course, most accurate methodology is to model what you want. The Trace the Logo tutorial is groovy but you can also use Inkscape (Another open source software) to trace the bitmap into a path. Import the path file to Blender, and then convert that to a mesh. A decent tutorial on how to accomplish the Bitmap trace is located here:

http://www.inkscape.org/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html

Alternatively, you can do what you have in mind from your current model. (Remove the Rectangle area)

Go into edit mode. and then change your Select mode to Faces. {CTRL+TAB+3}. Right click on any Face that is part of the rectangular area you want to get rid of, and then use the keyboard command {CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F} to select linked flat faces. It will pop up a prompt asking you the minimum angle, just select the default value {135}. This should select the flat area that you want to get rid of.

7. kirys
    kirys Member
    I'll use inkscape next time I'll ve some free time ;)
    Thank you for your help and suggestions
    Cya