Weekend Contest #6: Reuse a Plastic Bottle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bartv, Mar 22, 2013.

1. bartv
    bartv Member
    674x501_847987_757671_1358341477.jpg

The 'Bicycle Bottle Fender Mount' by Michael Mueller has been on my mind all week. It is a super clever way to re-use a plastic bottle. I would love to see if you can come up with something similar this weekend!

https://www.shapeways.com/model/847987/bicycle-bottle-fender- mount.html

You have until Monday morning 18:00, GMT+1 to come up with your ideas!

How to enter

Model your bottle add-on, upload it to your gallery, tag it with 'WeekendContest6' and post the link and picture here (upload the image, and click 'Insert image into message body' to embed it in your forum message).

Who wins?

You decide! Visit the model that you like most, and add it to your favorites. The model with the most votes wins.

What's the prize?

Eternal fame! Kudos from the Shapeways team! Riches! Okay, well, the winner will get a $25 gift certificate.

That's all?

Yep, grab a drink (keep the bottle!), goof around in your favorite modeling app this weekend and have fun!

Bart

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  3. Josenarvaez
    Josenarvaez Member
    where do i can see this contest? i mean the requierements?

4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Look at the post by Bartv:

5. Vyse
    Vyse Member
    Hello,

at first I love the idea of the Bicycle Bottle Fender Mount by Michael Mueller. It's usefull, clever and looks just awesome!! :)
    Ok here is my attempt to re-use a plastic bottle. It's nothing special. I just thought I give it a try and it was fun making it :D

Use your plastic bottles for your sport exercises.
    Fill up your plastic bottle with water, adjust them on each side of the Bottle Handle Bar thread and start your workout.

The weight will be up to you, by choosing the size of the bottle.
    (0,2l = 200g, 0,5l = 500g, 1l = 1kg and so on..)

After hard training, take a drink out of your bottle and keep the bottle for next time ;)

Link: https://www.shapeways.com/model/993085/bottle-handle-bar.html ?li=modelEdit

I made two models. One with and one without hollow space inside of it, because of the expensive pricing. I just don't know why both of them have the same price. ;)

Bottle.JPG

Kind Regards
    Rylinn

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  6. leorolph
    leorolph Member
  7. bartv
    bartv Member
    @JACANT: that's an awesome page, thanks for sharing!

@joseng: weekend contests are simple, just design something around the re-use of a plastic bottle and leave a message in this thread with your entry

@Rylinn: sweet :) Try updating your forum message with an image!

@leo rolph:eek:oh, rockets! Anything to do with spaceflight is close to an auto-win for me ;)

Okay everyone, there's still a few hours to go (we have moved the submission deadline to Monday 6pm, Amsterdam time - GMT+1). Give us your best!!

Bart

8. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Thanks for extending the deadline :)
    My entry is not quite ready.

Paul

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    @stop4stuff will you be able to make the 6pm deadline?

10. stop4stuff
    For sure, I should only be another hour or so.

CHeers,
    Paul

11. Tahereh
    Tahereh Member

Attached Files:

12. stop4stuff
    You know when you're building those monster LEGO Pneumatic creations and
    the standard LEGO Air Tanks are just not big enough?

Now there's an alternative to supergluing some pipe through holes in the lid and
    hoping the glue holds.

The Air Bottle Cap, LEGO penumatic compatible*

air-bottle-cap.JPG

Screw a standard PET type fizzy drinks bottle into the cap, connect your LEGO compressor to one stem,
    and the other stem to whatever you've built!

Complete with LEGO Technic style mounting for building into a model.

*as yet untested for fit or purpose.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

13. 30575_deleted
    30575_deleted Member
  14. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member

Do you have a hole going from the hollow interior to the exterior? If there is no escape hole the model is treated as solid.

Glenn

15. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    A great idea.

Is wsf airtight? Or which material would you print it in?

16. stop4stuff

I'd go for WSF, and I'd put a dilute mix of artists acrylic in a suitable bottle, add the cap, pressurize the bottle & invert - the air pressure should push the acrylic further into the WSF - turn the bottle up the right way, allow to drain, take the cap off and let it dry - and that is, if everything fits ;)

Paul

17. Vyse
    Vyse Member
    @Glenn - No there is no hole. There is just of the inside a hollow. The wallthickness there is about 4.09mm, so that it should hold the weight ;)

Attached Files:

18. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Appears you misunderstood Glen. The file checking software that Shapeways uses when you upload a model, automatically deletes internal geometry that is not connected to the outside. Also, with most materials, you'd have to have a hole large enough for the build material to be removed.

19. Vyse
    Vyse Member
    Oh yeah that makes sense!! Thanks :)
    Updated the model with four holes on each side of the bar, just not on the sides where the bottles are placed. The water should not flow into the handle.

20. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    No, I did not misunderstand. Just as I said, if there is no hole then the internal geometry is deleted and, yes, the model is treated as solid.