Problem with my ring

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Zoid5, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Zoid5
    Zoid5 Member
    I'm not sure where to go with this problem. I got a stainless steel deathly hallows ring printed. When I got it home I washed it with toothpaste and water (something the internet told me would be great for cleaning stainless steel) so I don't think it has anything to do with being dirty. Does anyone know what might be up? I've tried looking for answers online but all I've found ate people saying "Stainless steel won't turn your skin green!"

2. Sounds like you're allergic to copper.

Shapeways StainlessSteel contains ~40% bronze, which is an alloy of at least 60% copper.

A coat of clear varnish should solve the problem.

3. Zoid5
    Zoid5 Member
    So by "Stainless Steel" they mean... not actually stainless steel. Faaantastic. That is good to keep in mind for the future. Thank you.

4. There is no "pure stainless steel".
    It's always an alloy of ferrum, chrome & nickel, and a lot of other "funny things", depending on the specific sort.

And being allergic to copper is quite unsual. ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  5. Zoid5
    Zoid5 Member
    Being allergic to copper is quite usual, but it says specifically on the materials page that it is great for jewelry. For me, this implies that it won't turn me into the grinch.
    *sigh*
    I'm just really annoyed. This was my first order with Shapeways and there have been so many problems. It will be a long time before I order anything again, if I ever do.

6. To be fair, they do specify *exactly* which alloy it is in the material datasheet.

The discolouration comes from a reaction with acids. This can be your own sweat (the level of acidity varies from person to person) as well as potentially any more acidic products. The best advice would be to put a layer of nail varnish over it.

On a more constructive note, this might be something worth pointing out on the materials page. The coatings would fix this problem.

7. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Zoid5,

sorry to hear about your problem! Could you describe it a bit better for me though? I can't be certain what the issue is.

Thanks!

Bart

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Bart, it looks like Zoid5 isn't going to respond but I know exactly what he's talking about; he had a ring made in stainless steel and it turned his finger green (for the reasons as pointed out above). Personally, I can wear these rings no problem but my wife and son cannot - not even the gold-plated ones! For this reason I will no longer sell stainless steel rings unless I have clearly forewarned the customer.

Glenn

9. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    While the composition of the Stainless Steel material is accurately described everywhere, and many references are made to the Bronze infusion process I cannot help but think that the problem is the name itself.

We all have experience of stainless steel in our everyday lives and we have a pretty good idea of what to expect of it (even allowing for the fact that it comes in several grades). This relates to structural properties, oxidation/staining, strength. This material is not Stainless Steel as we all know it but a substance that is largely comprised of SS - a big difference.

Perhaps this could be another competition - come up with a good name for this material...

10. lensman
    While I would agree with all your points there - it is a bit misleading - the fact is that the material IS stainless steel. It does not contain stainless steel, it's simply another variation - one of many - of a metal known as stainless steel.

Glenn

11. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Are you sure? There is a matrix of sintered ss granules and the bronze is infused into the interstices, so you might as well call it bronze.

And it certainly does not have the physical properties of ss.

12. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Such mix of 60% SS and 40% Bronze is not an stainless steel alloy. It's a composite of two alloys.

[Edit: typo]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  13. lensman
    Fair enough, Stannum. There are, however, over 150 types of stainless steel. I think what confuses customers is that, as mentioned, it confuses them into thinking they are getting the more traditional 316L s/steel that is used in jewellery. Not every customer takes the time to read through all the material spec's here before buying. It really does need to be made clearer to buyers.

Glenn

14. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    How about call it sissibron, for sintered stainless steel infused bronze. :p

15. Zoid5
    Zoid5 Member
    That is the best name ever. If there was a vote on it, I would totally vote in favor of changing it's name to sissibron.

16. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    :D