What's the smallest I can make this model in alumnide while still retaining the details?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Oreosmooshy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Oreosmooshy
    Oreosmooshy Member
    So I'm making a pendant and am wanting to print it in alumnide. Problem is, 1) I like small pendants and 2) I'm really cheap so the smaller the better, and I'm not sure how big to make this. Currently it's three centimeters tall, which is about as big as I'm wanting to go. Could it be printed in this size with the details intact? And if not, could I print it at this size or smaller in frosted detail? :confused

snakey.jpg
    (I used slightly different colors to show what is embossed/engraved)

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Three CM should be reasonably large enough.
    Each of the materials has listed a Minimum Detail value.

For example: WSF has "Min Embossed Detail: 0.2mm (recommend 0.5mm for readable text)"

That means that anything less than 0.5mm will likely disappear from your model.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    You may get a rejection, as your standing ledges look taller than they are thick. If they are thinner than .9mm and taller than they are thick you will probably get an unsupported wall rejection. Now the minimum embossed detail for Alumide is .7mm. I don't think, if accepted, your details would disappear, but they wouldn't be as crisp if they are below .7mm.