We (I) need badges... and no stinking badges...

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 323910_deleted, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Need assistance in transitioning a Sketchup model in the Shapeway system... I upload the file but not all of the "pieces" came with it.
    The design is for a badge/logo for the company I am trying to start up and this 3D printing idea seems innovative and a fun way to make my own custom "works"... So anyone with some Sketchup knowhow... please lend me your skills. I've included the Sketchup file for those who are up to the challenge... I am a novice user and uberly new to the 3D printing world.

Attached Files:

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Your model is too big to be made by Shapeways
    At that size 1'6" x 1'6" x 1.5" = 457.2mm x 457.2mm x 37.5mm would be about 6500 cm3
    Check out the maximum sizes here
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-options
    When you create a model in Sketchup you only need the Outer Skin all internal lines are not required. They create extra faces. They are in effect confusing Shapeways software were the model has faces on top off faces so the software does not know what is inside or outside. See Xray image, the one on the left is your original model the one on the right is my attempt to fix it the way you want plus the way Shapeways would accept it . By moving some of the walls 1/16" = 1.5875mm
    I will send the fixed file by PM
    XRAY image.png

3. I tried your version and even trying to submit it in pieces to be assembled post-print, but the transfer doesn't copy over the borders and text.

Through Shapeways, I am only seeking to develop my design into smaller items such as badges, emblems, and things similar in size relation to a guitar pick or at largest the size of a cup coaster. Scaling it down isn't a problem, just getting it to upload accurately.

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Are you wanting to print it in Full Color Sandstone with those colors or are the colors insignificant? Sandstone wouldn't work for this in the size of a guitar pick, but may work for the size of a cup coaster. Problem being the size of the letters relative to the resolution of the 3D print material.

Regardless of the material you want it printed in I can fix this for $10, but I would need to know if you want to keep those colors. As stated the file has numerous problems that are the common problems one runs into when using Sketchup. Nothing wrong with your modeling, you did a great job, its mainly centered around how Sketchup does things.

James

5. Yea... I'm just a novice Sketchup user and I know transitions between one software format to another has elements that don't transfer 100% and I'm just in rough draft stages so cost is a medium issue. So I will give you my target idea and hopeful what you forge will be awesome enough to go straight to print.

---
    The primary goal is to have a "cad" file that I can use to establish my "brand logo"... having the design stuck in virtual e-world is hard to guess the onscreen image color versus the color of the actual in hand product.

Color:
    I'm aiming for the black glossy base color (onyx-type feel), with a red/dark red inner background, trimmed in gunmetal/silver and the VP logo to be in a gold tint. In designing it, I felt drawn to the Iron Man type feel. So the target idea is something that feels like it's about to transform into something else, if that makes any sense.

Size: my target size would be roughly compact disc sized.
    ---

So if you wish to take on this project then I'm sure we can make the needed arrangements for compensation for your efforts.

6. UniverseBecoming
    Ok sounds good. I love the design you're describing! Sounds wonderful! And yes, now that you say that it does have an Iron Man feel to it.

To correct your file it's just a matter of deleting extra faces and welding verts like Jacant pointed out. For starters I would run it through the Netfabb cloud and see what that does. You can do that by getting the STL export plugin for Sketchup, export it, then upload that to the cloud. You can also use another free software called Meshlab. Just export as a DAE from Sketchup and then import that into Meshlab, then export from Meshlab as a STL, and finally send it to the cloud for boolean operations.

As for the colors, to get it like you're wanting Full Color Sandstone will get you close, but it sounds like your wanting to create something more extravagant. What you might consider is printing it in Stainless Steel with gold plating. Then you would do what's known as enameling for the colors and for the gunmetal look on the trim you could remove the gold plating and treat those parts with bluing to get the gunmetal look. There would be some R&D involved with the bluing treatment since Shapeways' stainless steel has bronze alloy mixed in with the stainless steel alloy.

Let me know how the fixing up of the file is coming. If you get stuck, let me know and I'll help you fix it. No charge as previously stated cuz I like your vision for your design. It's gonna look great! :D

7. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Please feel free to use.

Attached Files:

8. UniverseBecoming
    Nice job Jacant! You do good work!

9. I'm juggling this file through the apps, but the color doesn't go with it... is there a setting I'm missing?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Unfortunately, NetFabb doesn't do colour, it is basically for model integrity checking. (Colour models are viewable though)
    And the STL file format doesn't support colour either :(

So, what I did was to open JACANT's file in Sketchup, exported it as a DAE,
    opened the DAE in MeshLab - the colour info was not on the model -
    exported the model from MeshLab as an STL, imported the STL into Accutrans3D,
    exported that as IOB, coloured the faces in Imagine (using the colour data in the Sketchup model),
    saved, imported back into Accutrans, rescaled to 3mm thick and saved as a VRML :eek:

https://shpws.me/nuFS :cool:

Paul
    [hr][hr]

11. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Thanks for that Paul and thanks for the compliment UniverseBecoming.
    One day I will try to figure out VRML.

12. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
  13. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    I noticed, it looks good.
    I scaled it down uniformly to fit a 120mm inscribed circle. 'CD size'

14. Wow amazing.... such software mazes are mind boggling. Thanks to all of you for grinding on this for me, :)

15. What is the production time usually on a model? Was my model too big?

16. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    According to the Materials Page, Full Color Sandstone will ship in 8 business days.

120mm is a very reasonable size.

This model is 100mm, and the prints turned out VERY nice.

17. Just received my model yesterday. Everything looks great except the text of the model didn't come out clear. I was aiming for a 3D raised text look and it's too small to print the letters clearly.. How do I make my model larger(without getting too expensive) and modular? I don't mind if some assembly is required.

I am trying for something the size of a CD about 5" x 5", this model came out small, looking at the file I submitted, I don't know how to submit a resized model (WRL file).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013