Biggest printable piece?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 318232_deleted, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Hi guys!

I'm thinking of making a couch and assuming that you really can't print the whole thing (haven't read a whole lot about it to be honest).
    So let's play with the thought of getting the biggest possible solid part out of the 3D printer - How big could you get it (length, width, depth)?

/J.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The largest bounding box is 650x350x550mm. So it would take several pieces to print a couch, and would be very very expensive.

3. Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I thought initially...

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    The max volume for WSF (Nylon) is 650x350x550mm.. the biggest size for Steel is 1000x450x250mm. Steel might be a bit hard to sit on.

As for WSF, if you made it a solid bock at the maximum boundary, it'd cost you $175,000 (not counting the 20% density discount) and for a standard (single person) seat, you'd likely have to have two of them.

If you made the same block with completely hollow with 3mm walls, it'd still be rouglhly $6,500 per block.

Of course, I'm sure that Shapeways would love to have the business. <grin>

5. Haha, sweet mother of god! I guess that I'll try to carve it out of wood instead! :laughing:

6. If u decided not to carve it out of wood can u write about how did u printed it ? :twisted: It is really interesting and I think it would be a top of speech for a while in a public if u try to do that .