Weekend Contest #4: Lampshade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bartv, Mar 1, 2013.

1. bartv
    bartv Member
    Pollen Lamp.jpg

Picture: Pollen Lamp by nervoussystem

I have a beautiful mediterranea lamp by cunicode on my desk and we have numerous other wonderful models in our gallery. This weekend I'd like to see how far your creativity can go, so I challenge you to design a lampshade with a surprise. Maybe it's something in the light pattern on the wall, maybe it contains a moving part powered by the heat of the lamp.. Surprise us and win a $25 voucher!

You have until Monday morning 10:00, GMT+1 to come up with your ideas!

How to enter

Model your lampshade, upload it to your gallery, tag it with 'Weekend Contest: Lampshade' and post the link and picture here (upload the image, and click 'Insert image into message body' to embed it in your forum message).

Who wins?

You decide! Visit the model that you like most, and add it to your favorites. The model with the most votes wins.

What's the prize?

Eternal fame! Kudos from the Shapeways team! Riches! Okay, well, the winner will get a $25 gift certificate.

That's all?

Yep, grab a drink, goof around in your favorite modeling app this weekend and have fun!

Bart

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Are you sure this is what you meant?

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    Good catch, thanks!

Bart

4. HenryAlfredo
    HenryAlfredo Member
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Balloon LED candle lampshade

[​IMG]

Inspired by the murals I painted 18 years ago on the walls of my children;s nursey.

The lampshade is in the shape of a hot air balloon. and has a simple pattern of clouds, trees and fields within that alter the thickness of the balloon.

The idea is that a LED tea light candle will sit in a cup that the balloon shell sits on and lhe light is cast from the candle as the pattern within the balloon.

Paul

6. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    Maybe too late and not what you would call a lamp shade ?

But hey, i'm being sick @home so why not design something :)

I present to you the Led Tube Cube.

This model is insipred by the Dutch artist : Escher
    It's a squared shaped tube and the path of the tube stays within the geometric lines of a cube resulting in a lamp with many cool angles, you can insert a led strip and light up any place you like !

3D Render : Led Tube Cube 3.jpg

Hope You'll like it :cool:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  7. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Ok, the first surprise for this lamp is that the three panels look like ordinary ribbed panels complementing the cylinder motif design, however, when the light is turned on a lithophane is revealed. The second surprise is when the viewer walks around the lamp the lithophane image in view changes state from happy to sad and vice versa. This switching image is a result of the frosted ultra detail or Transparent Detail lenticular lenses on the outer panels.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/953961/?li=modelEdit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a panel removed reviling the back of one of the panels. In this image you see the combination of both the happy mask and the sad mask, yet when looking through the front lenticular lens only one image at a time is seen.

8. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
  9. 30575_deleted
    30575_deleted Member
  10. UniverseBecoming
    Oh, and if anyone is having trouble deciphering the two images blended together, here are the two models I made to make the bas relief lithophanes.

[​IMG]

I originally wanted to make a rattlesnake coiled and striking as the two images, but after spending a day and a half on sculpting the snake I had to drop it and go with making the simple happy and sad masks cuz it was taking way too long! :D

I love everyone's entered creations! Great work! :)

11. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    Hey @Universebecoming

It seems that your model is not set public, i also can't see any of your pictures.. (You have no permission to perform this action, this model is no longer publicly available)

Love to see what you've designed

Kind Regards,
    Wesley Günter

12. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    All good stuff :eek:

Another image for my entry,

render-inverted.JPG

I was trying to get the shadows that would be cast, but the design can be seen :)

Paul

edit: I inverted the render image - the design is more visable now.

13. UniverseBecoming
    Thanks Wesley!

I forgot to set the category so it didn't go to public. :D

Yours would look wonderful sitting on a desk and lit up! Love it!

14. Tahereh
    Tahereh Member
    Qafas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW Qafas or "قفس" = Cage :)

15. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Some clever designs here.
    My 'Add To Favorites' button does not work

16. bartv
    bartv Member
    Nice work all! I'm starting to enjoy these weekend contests more and more :)

Again, you guys made it hard to choose, but I think fx2's 'Lampshade' is the one that most triggered my interest - I'm REALLY curious to see if that's actually going to work! Congrats and enjoy the $25 voucher!

Any suggestions for next week's contest? (Or maybe I should wait and ask that tomorrow.... <evil grin>).

Bart

17. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Congrats fx2.
    Nice idea, like a mechanical dimmer

18. UniverseBecoming
    Props Fx2! :D

19. 30575_deleted
    30575_deleted Member
    Hello,

Thank you for the prize. :) I'm curious to know if that works, too ! I will create a reduced size test model and order it. I think the tricky thing is to get all the unsintered powder out of the mechanism.

20. HenryAlfredo
    HenryAlfredo Member
    Congrats fx2 :)