Blender and UV Mapping

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by AmLachDesigns, Mar 1, 2013.

1. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Hi again,

does anyone have any tips for working with UV maps of objects with Blender.

I can create the UV map and export it, but can anyone tell me the best way to add the colours? I've watched tutorials where it's done for simple objects like cubes or where a photo is mapped onto the ... map, but it all gets much more complicated if you have a 'real' model and you want to 'paint' it yourself..

So how do you guys set about it, which software etc? Any tips gratefully received.

Thx

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    If you already have the UV map saved as an image file, you can simply edit the image and save it :)

Alternatively, you can use Mesh Lab 'z-painting' to literally paint the model, the colour with be 'burnt' into the model file (so no messing about with zip folders)

Paul

3. AmLachDesigns
    Thanks.

I probably need to get some different image editing software - I don't think Paint will cut it! Any suggestions?

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
  5. AmLachDesigns
    Thanks, I will check them out.

6. There are 3 ways to add color in blender uv mapping obviously, the material color, and vertex painting none of which requires any uv unmapping (results are a solid color applied to the model. Gimp is a good free paint program,that has the option to turn a selection to a path,which you can export as a .svg then import into Blender as a curve very handy option.

7. AmLachDesigns
    Thanks Fredd.

Did you create your Sid model in Blender? How did you add the colours in this case?

8. someonehere needed help with the textures not showing on the model hereof cid when uploading.asked about the mapping turned out the uv map was exported into gimp color added onto separate layers using the layer the map the uv image was on.there really i s no quick and easy to way to learnto unwrap fast and easy takes some tut orialwatching,trial, and error,unless you import an image as plane which will unwrap the plane for texture painting(project paint) seems to work well if you just do not want to unwrap a model.I am tinkering with that technique currently