Prime Grey

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by wolly, Feb 28, 2013.

1. wolly
    wolly Member
    What does shapeways offer that's close or equivalent to I competitive service prime grey?

bw

2. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi,

Your looking for the highest resolution and smooth surface.
    At the moment we offer Frosted Ultra Detail which provides a smooth surface and high quality details:

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted-detail

Unfortunately we do not have something similar to Prime Gray, the downside from this material is that it involves a lot of post processing work.
    You can see this at modeltrain forum:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66900-desi gn-for-diesel-bogie-wagr-r-class/?p=934854

The support material is actually the same material which is used to print the model, thus you will have to cut every single support by hand.
    While Frosted Ultra Detail is using a wax material as support which we can easily remove.

Mitchell

3. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
    Mitchell Jetten wrote:
    "You can see this at modeltrain forum:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66900-desi gn-for-diesel-bogie-wagr-r-class/?p=934854 "

DUDE!! SWEET!!! The more stuff I see done in S scale the more I'm tempted to switch scales :eek:

The big problem is most (99.75%) customers wouldn't be able to/ don't have the patience to properly remove all that support material themselves. I see why i.competitive service charges so much more for printing in this material; that's a LOT of finishing work to do.

4. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    Prime Grey, in common with most cheaper SLA, has a lower resolution than FUD.

5. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Any chance to get FUD/FD in a color?

The smart thing of prime grey is the grey color.

Woody64

6. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
    I wash my FUD/FD prints in Bestine (heptane); the prints turn white when dry wherever there was contact with support material. It's not grey but it helps.

7. noc146
    noc146 Member
    I have been using Prime Gray from I-competitive service for my scale model buses, and it is one hundred times better than anything Shapeways offer, in any material.

I had to abandon my model bus projects with Shapeways, primarily because they refuse to offer fixed print orientation, and because the wax on FUD is too difficult to clean, despite what Shapeways say.

Prime Gray is more expensive, but I pay it, because it is what I want, and Shapeways don't offer it. Shapeways have lost all my business and my customers, and I don't see it returning to them any time soon. Their quality is just far too inconsistent, and I cannot sell that.

8. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    I just wanted to jump in and say that Shapeways has been super cool and accommodating anytime I've had a problem. Just my two cents.

It would be pretty awesome, though, if customers had a little more variety in plastic colors. It's not a deal breaker for me personally, but I have received PMs from people who have said that the lack of colors discourages them from making purchases.

But no complaints from me about Shapeways as a business to deal with!

9. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    I agree a bigger WSF color palette would make this more attractive. Also it seems weird the that the existing colors are only half the wheel: red, pink, purple, blue. Orange, yellow, green, teal pls?

Thxxx,

10. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Here is a comparision of different materials and how they look like:
    (pBSF, Detailed White, Prime Grey)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

- the polished material is the only one which offers some colors. Customers always remark that the material looks a little bit grainy. Although with polishing it becomes much better. But something is still missing. Some kind of varnish perhaps?
    And as Batshebe says, some important colors are missing ....

- The White Detailed may do it's job, but looks always a little bit like a not finished product. Would be very interesting if the detailed would be available in other colors.
    (if using the transparent one it does a good job, as long as material printing orientation fits to your item. I got transparent results but also milky results)

- The prime grey somehow does it's job. The surface looks smooth enough, the grey color looks like an end stadium.

Beside the material properties (which doesn't affect my customers) the most important topic is colors and plastic look alike.

For me shapeways service is great, but having a sufficiant material available in 5 of the most important colors would boost it by ten times.

So unfortunately for pictures and having the complete result in mind prime grey has so far the best results :( and it's not offered by shapeways :(

Maybe a color palette for detailed would make it perfect but I even don't know if sufficiant materials exist. Maybe someone could answer this?

Woody64

Last edited: May 18, 2013