Export from Maya to VRML files

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 310145_deleted, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Hi,

I have been trying to upload my design for a few hours unsuccessfully.
    I use Maya 2013 and I export to VRML2.

I get the same error:
    "The 3D model Test11 Merged you recently uploaded didn't pass all our automated checks, so it's not yet ready for 3D printing."

when I go through Magics, I have the following error:

"It seems your product is missing the textures it needs to be 3D printed. Please check the uploaded file to make sure the texture is in the root directory (we don't support textures in subfolders)."

My textures are in the same subfolder. Attached is the file I have been trying to upload, along with the textures and screengrab of the final model.

Thanks for your help.

-Clay

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    You could try renaming your texture file (and the reference to it in the VRML file) to something that does not
    start with the "~" character (which can have special meaning on some operating systems, so might confuse
    the shapeways software)

3. Hi Mkrouker,

Thanks for your reply.
    I tried renaming the texture map but it did not help.

When I upload the .wrl file, why doesn't it ask for the image with the upload?
    I can only upload one file. So there can't be any textures....

Clayton

4. mkroeker
    Eh, you are uploading the wrl and jpg contained in a single zip file, aren't you ?
    Uploading them separately will not work - the wrl will be unhappy without its texture (as you noticed),
    and with the lonely jpg the shapeways software will not know what to do.

(wrl alone works fine when you use vertex colors - no idea what maya calls them, but in effect it is
    a rgb color definition attached to each object or vertex, instead of a texture map - of course this makes
    sense only when the coloring is that simple)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. So , if I understand correctly, my .wrl and my texture file, should be one file?

6. mkroeker
    Yes, you upload a .zip file that contains both the wrl and its texture jpg (and no other files).

7. I can't upload a .zip...:/

"Oops. We can't process this file.

Something went wrong processing your upload, please try again"

Attached Files:

8. mkroeker
    Please remake the zip so that it does not contain a folder, just the two files. (Except for that, it
    should work now)

9. BOOM!

Thanks Mkroeker, you just me a lot of frustration.

-Clay