Blender .x3d and Full Colour Sanstone (FCS)

Discussion in 'Materials' started by AmLachDesigns, Feb 21, 2013.

1. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Hi,

I've looked in the forums (fora?) and I can't quite find the answer I am looking for - I hope someone can help.

I am trying to upload a model with a texture from Blender:

1. Am I correct that the only way to do this is in a .x3d file and that there is no way to do it with .stl?

2. Do I need to .zip my .png for the texture with the .x3d or should it somehow be included in the model? I managed to upload a rudimentary (vertex painted) model without this, but it won't work with this model.

Thanks in advance and please explain as if to a child...

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Per the file format list on the "Create" upload page, yes. (You could also use
    VRML2 aka VRML97, but that is roughly the pre-xml dialect of the same format)

Yes, STL is triangles without colors or even units. (There is a potential successor named AMF that
    adds both, but has not gained as much traction yet)

Yes, and the zip should have no internal folder structure, i.e. just the .x3d and png file.
    Also make sure that the texture reference in the x3d file is just the filename without
    any folder names.
    And do not set any transparency on objects - while it probably does not matter for printing,
    transparency is faithfully reproduced in the preview, which can be very confusing.

3. AmLachDesigns
    thx, will give it a go.

4. remember before uploading you will need to scale the model since when you a upload a model in a color format sw will regard a blender unit dimension as a meter, for printing purposes.

5. AmLachDesigns
    Thx again