pricing error?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Jettuh, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
  2. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    Make sure your Normals are properly oriented. the upload is supposed to catch inverted normals but I have seen it fail a few times.

If you need help with normals, let me know.

3. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    no problems with normals ;)

ill try uploading it again when the train is finished

4. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    Ya you do. I can tell from the picture.

I suspect you made a mirror copy, yes?

Are you using Blender?

5. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Yes i did made an mirror, but the last time i made a mirror on the VIRM (the other dutch train) it worked...
    this time it was mirrored the same way

i use 3dsmax7

6. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
  7. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Hey guys,

got the good results now, but the shapeways price on the website says: 23.87,,, and the old version of virtox i use,, where the old price is $1.68 for WSF, it says my object is $23.58.

i don't want to say i have a diffrence of about 30cents, but that was virtox his old calculator, with the price of $1.68 for the WSF,,,

so the price for the shapeways objects after the new discount (see shapeways newsletter) is not on yet?
    cause that would mean the objects should be cheaper?

8. jvo
    jvo Member
    I have one on the topic of pricing error. The FAQ states that "The price of a model depends on the volume...". I recently uploaded a model of which the price calculation did not seem correct to me, so I uploaded some test models and here are the results:

test1: A 10x10x10 mm cube. Volume is obviously 1 cubic cm. Price is $ 3.57. Lets call this the unit price.

test2: A 10x10x10 mm cube with a 6x6x6 inverted cube inside. The volume is 0.784 cubic cm. (1 - 0.6 x 0.6 x 0.6.) The price is 89.1% of the unit price. Do note that I did not put holes in the sides, so the excess material would be trapped and shipped.

test3: Here it really comes. This model resembles my model more and has all room to let excess material out. A 10x10x10 mm cube consisting only of its ribs in 2 mm. The volume is 0.352 cubic cm. (8 x 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.2 + 12 x 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.6.) The price however still sticks at 67.8% of the unit price. (The model is one manifold volume, no overlaps.)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  9. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    There is now also a fixed price of $1.50 added to the price of each piece. You need to subtract it from the given price to get your unit (per volume) price. I have found pretty good accuracy of price = 1.50 + 1.50*Volume in CC.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  10. jvo
    jvo Member
    Thanks, that solves it. Not directly with $ 1.50. But it does after I add 19% tax to that $ 1.50. So, big is the way to go :p