Experiences using data from humster3D to print on shapeways

Discussion in 'Materials' started by MarkusJT, Feb 16, 2013.

1. MarkusJT
    MarkusJT Member
    Hello,

I´m really fascinated about shapeways and its possibilities.
    I would like to use the 3d data from Nissan Altima 2012, which is offered by Hunster3d in the www.
    Do I have to work on those data or can I just upload it to shapeways.com to get it printed?

Does anyone of you have experience with the data of this website?
    Which data format is better to print in 1/87scaale that I prefer: .3ds, .stl, .obj, .max ???

Thank you for your help!!

Markus

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    The acceptable formats are STL, VRML2/97 (.wrl), COLLADA (.dae), X3D and OBJ. (not MAX or 3DS)

From the Humster3d site: The Customer may NOT store [items] any place on a network or on the Internet where it may be referenced by a third party. In this case, Shapeways would be a 3rd party, and I doubt Humster would be happy about it.

What I've found on many such sites, is that the models look really pretty, but they're only skin deep :) Often the models are skin-only with no inner structure to them such that they won't work for 3d printing. Beyond that, they're not hollow. It IS possible to take such files and fix them up for 3d printing, but they can consume a LOT of hours to get them to a usable level..

=====
    Sites like Humster3d, ShareCG and TurboSquid all were created before 3d printing became popular. Their licenses haven't been updated to address 3d printing. So, a bit of caution would be advised before you use their models at Shapeways.

3. MarkusJT
    MarkusJT Member
    Thank you very much for that immediate answer. I,m sorry about mentioning this other firm.

Your answer helped me a lot.
    Does shapeways just offer the printing in 3d or is there the possibility to make several 3d datas ready fore printing?

Have a nice Sunday!

Markus

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Shapeways are mainly a print service, their most excellent Customer Service team can help with aspects of a model's design but there is the oportunity to have a 3D model file made for printing by asking over in the 3D modeler needed forum. If you already have a model file and it is one of the accepted file types, you can upload the model as Shapeways have some automated software (Mesh Medic) that will attempt to make the model good for printing suitability.

Paul
    [hr][hr]