Wired 3-DPrint-Off

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AmLachDesigns, Feb 8, 2013.

1. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Hi Everyone,

I'm just writing to say how surprised I am that more designers on Shapeways are not taking part in this Wired 3-D Print-Off as featured on the blog https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1889-The-Wired-3D-Pri nt-Off.html.

I am a big fan of Wired (I discovered SW through an article on StonySmith) and I believe it is an influential magazine/organisation. So I encourage you to submit something and benefit from this opportunity to not only show the world what 3D printing can do, but also promote (shamelessly plug) your designs into the bargain.

At the moment they are accepting pretty much anything it seems (well, they've taken my stuff!!!) so get your designs out to a wider audience, include a link to your shop and bump those SEO scores!

Practical notes:
    1. Although the description field seems open-ended it has a finite length, so don't write too much;
    2. The submission process is a little delicate - it seems to reject entries with a single quote (') or ampersand (&).
    3. Although the terms of the Print-Off dictate a bounding box, they will feature (so I am told by Mike Senese of Wired, a seemingly very nice guy) larger items, but they will not win or be printed unless the dimensions comply. However, i would suggest that exposure is the thing here, not winning.
    4. The image should ideally be a render, not an actual photograph. Not sure why, but there you go.
    5. I'm guessing that the techies doing the upload work on US Pacific time, so be a little patient. From my experience, if you make a submission that passes the technical hurdles it will go up.

I am not connected in any way with SW, Wired or the 'competition' (except as someone who has entered some designs) so if you have questions or complaints look elsewhere. I will accept all and any compliments, however.

2. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    I just submitted my Geared cufflinks. It's my best design, I'm still waiting to get the print back from Shapeways to see how it will work :D

http://shpws.me/lNtV
    674x501_710931_577462_1348398530.jpg

What have other people submitted? It will be exciting to see how many shapies win this!

3. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Hi Ray,

don't forget to tag your design with 'WiredDesign'. Then you can search Shapeways (with the <sarcastic>marvellous</sarcastic> search box and find the entries that you and other designers made.

Ooops, just did this myself and discovered I had forgotten to do it....

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I entered my flaming skull ring.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the heads up and tips for entering. I wish Shapeways had an RSS feed for their blog. I've just now setup Update Notifier for it, a plugin for Firefox, so I'll be alerted when my browser is running, but it would be a lot nicer with RSS. Or does anyone know a better way to subscribe somehow?

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I'll mention to the dev team that they "lost" the RSS icon from the blog homepage, but the feed is still up and running just fine:
    https://www.shapeways.com/blog/rss.php?version=2.0

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Oh thanks Stony! Thanks for digging that up for me, I've added it to my reader. :)