Painted Pen Holder

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by scientist2010, Feb 4, 2013.

1. scientist2010
    scientist2010 Member
    It's me again. Just yesterday I told about a coloring test with a spring.

Well, for the first time within the last few years I finished my sister's birthday present before her birthday. *cough*
    Last year I did the silver fencing mask (that you can find in my shop) for her, but I started designing on her birthday itself, so no good timing.

I decided to paint the pen holder. It is designed to hold the pens in a comfortable angle and gets some stabilization from the wires (which I find appealing). Painting WSF is a bit like painting on silk, the color soaks through the material fast. This is responsible for those beautiful color changes.

I hope she will like it. She does not use Shapeways, that's why I can tell you :)

2.jpeg

Yours, Marie

2. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Can you describe your painting process... paints used, any prep, finish added... curious minds want to know!

Glenn

3. scientist2010
    scientist2010 Member
    Hi Glenn, thanks for your interest!

Painting in this style is pretty easy. I just dug out the water colors I used at school (Pelikan, but anything works).
    Then I started by tapping wet color on the dry object and made it soak around by adding some water to the edges of the color spot.
    Use different colors and let them flow into each other (some human support needed) and your done.

You see, no preparation, fun, relatively fast process.
    Of course you have to be careful as water colors are not water proof :) . I looked out for some finishing technique and found CWestbrook's tutorial (http://shpws.me/lmko) on sealing with Polyurethane varnish. I am going to try that.

That's it.

Yours, Marie

4. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Cool, thanks. Have a try with watered down acrylic paints. You wouldn't then have to put a top coat on if you didn't want to...

Glenn

5. scientist2010
    scientist2010 Member
    That's an interesting idea. I'll definitely try it and have a look how fast it soaks through the nylon.
    Thank you,

Marie