materials available for printing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 300861_deleted, Feb 2, 2013.

1. I see that Shapeways offers stainless steel and sterling silver.. but how can I get something done in non-stainless... or 'mild steel'?

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Shapeways 3D printed stainless steel is very strong and rigid with similar properties to 420 stainless steel, except it is infused with a bronze content of up to 30%. It has a slightly pitted surface finish for that vintage look.
    Have a look at the 'Material Overview' and the 'Design Guidelines' if you want to make that sword hilt.
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel

3. My main issue is that I would not be able to run it through the paces of my normal antique patination... as the stainless would be impervious to the acids that I use. But I can give it a shot with one and see how many 'years' I can put on one.

4. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Bathsheba-Bob says give it a try. I don't know jack about metallurgy, but I've seen this metal rust...I don't think it comes out of the printer as stainless as it went in.

5. okay... I just got a link with a better look at the finish and it is pretty nice. This could be pretty cool...

edit: actually.. this is blowing my mind with possibilities for my work. I need to get on a fast track to learning design.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    You have to think of it as a steel bronze mix (not alloy, but mix of small grains). It will rust sooner or later. See the crab demo.

7. yes I see that now.... very interesting. The look will be nice for what I'm trying to do.