Beetle!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by VertexPusher, Jan 30, 2013.

1. VertexPusher
    VertexPusher Member
    My first print ever arrived recently. I have finally had a chance to snap some photos of it to post up.

The model was sculpted and exported from Zbrush with some minor geometry cleanup in Maya.

I think I am hooked! Looking forward to making more prints with Shapeways in the future!

The print -

beetle_PHOTO_1.jpg

beetle_PHOTO_2.jpg

A render of the model -

beetle_green.jpg

- V

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Looks great! are you going to paint him up like your render?

3. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    wow!!

4. Haha, I love this. This would scare the bejesus out of someone at that size .. It looks so real.

5. VertexPusher
    VertexPusher Member
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments! :D

@Youknowwho4eva - I'm not sure yet If I will paint him up. A few people that I've shown it to have asked me that. Right now I'm just really happy how great the print turned out. Maybe at some point I could get another copy to try out painting on one. Can you recommend any good guides for painting on the WSF material? I will update the post if I end up making any modifications!

-V

6. Youknowwho4eva
    I can recommend a whole section of finishing techniques for all Shapeways materials! You can limit it down using the search (not the search at the top of the page, but the forum search magnifying glass to the top right of the page)

I would also start bugging (pun unintended) SW to start dying in green. I think he'd look perfect dyed in green.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Is that the "polished" or standard quality of "white, strong and flexible" ? (Wondering if the legs and antennae
    would survive polishing, which seems to be a prerequisite for the dyed materials now).
    And that bug absolutely needs some kind of drive , maybe bristlebot like :D

8. VertexPusher
    VertexPusher Member
    Thanks! I have been poking around in the post production section a bit. There is a lot of really useful information in there.

I also would be really happy if Shapeways would at least offer options to dye WSF in all of the primary and secondary colors. I imagine there must be some sort of difficulty doing so for some reason. :rolleyes:

-V

9. Youknowwho4eva
    As far as the colors SW offers. We stared with a set and perfected the process. Now that the process is perfected, we'll work on new colors and release them as they are perfected.

10. VertexPusher
    VertexPusher Member
    I had it printed in the standard WSF. I was actually primarily concerned as to what would happen to his antennae during the polishing process. I don't understand how the polish is accomplished, but I imagined some sort of tumbler or other such contraption and figured it wouldn't be a good idea. In any case I wanted to see what the unpolished WSF looked like for my first print especially considering the notes on the site as to the dulling effect the polishing would understandably have on the details reproduced in the print. I am also interested in getting a print done in one of the detail materials eventually as well.

I love the idea of turning him into some sort of robot or even wind-up contraption. I wish I had the knowledge or means to do such a thing! :D

-V

11. VertexPusher
    VertexPusher Member
    Ah! That's great to hear! It's understandable that SW wouldn't want to make the colors available until they were up to snuff.

-V

12. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Try dying it in Macha Tea... I haven't tried this yet, but it's on my to do list...

I just wish it was possible to print something this delicate in bronze...

Glenn