If you want, we can convert your files for you

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by bartv, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi,

if you can't get your model properly exported in X3D or Collada, we'll try and do it for you. Just mail your original file to service@shapeways.com and we'll do our best!

Cheers,

Bart

(filed under 'famous last words' ;))

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
  2. 1123_deleted
    1123_deleted Member
    that's spectacular. thank you!
    :D

3. 4100_deleted
    4100_deleted Member
    Yahoo! Thanks so much. Shapeways checking bot was not accepting my file (.x3d)

Now to get that mesh done and ready...

Thanks so much!

Benjamin Bailey
    http://minosafilms.wordpress.com/

4. 3681_deleted
    3681_deleted Member
    I've been having problems exporting collada from XSI 6.5...

The files seem to be intact on my end, but I continue to receive the following email shortly after upload.

"The fileformat of your object cannot be processed by our software. Please investigate the problem and try again. "

I'll send the file your way and see if you have better luck with conversion. I experienced similar problems with stl exports from 3d studio and have experienced a series of lockups during collada export.

Any suggestions?

5. bartv
    bartv Member
    In the current release, there's an issue with some of the error messages - especially when they're size related. Try reducing the size of your object by a factor or 100 and export again. Did that solve it?

Cheers,

Bart

6. MickLang
    MickLang Member
    This is great news. Using blender with OSX, I keep trying to get my mesh the correct size and the upload eventually says that it's "less than a centimeter".

I'd like to use Shapeways to build items of an exact size-- can you scale it on your end to the dimensions that I ask for?

Thanks for your great product and service!

Mick

7. robert
    robert Member
    Hi Mick,

Sure we can.

As a rule of thumb we interpret 1 blender unit as 1 mtr. Did you size it like that? Which export format did you use since Blender supports all our upload formats?

Cheers!

Robert

8. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Mick,

you'll find more information on file formats and units here:

https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/errors#what_kind_of_file

My guess is that you exported from Blender to STL and used millimeters as a unit; in that case 1 Blender unit would translate to 1 millimeter. You can either scale up your model before exporting, or select another unit - whichever fits your way of working best.

Cheers,

Bart

9. 15630_deleted
    15630_deleted Member
    Just to be clear:

If I send you an OBJ-file (that has UVW-coordinates) and the appropriate texture-map, you can convert it to a VRML-file that's suitable for color-printing?

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    I can only check or convert files for you, I'm afraid I don't have time to apply a UV texture map for you. So yes, if the OBJ file is already fully UV-Mapped I can give it a try, but no guarantees ;)

Alternatively, you can try doing the conversion yourself with MeshLab.

11. 15630_deleted
    15630_deleted Member
    Since I am having trouble getting textures to work in Meshlab, I have mailed you guys the file. The UVW-mapping should be intact when you import it into your software, since it IS still intact, when re-importing the file into 3dsmax.

12. 50901_deleted
    50901_deleted Member
    what about 3ds files? i recently submitted an stl from 3ds n shapeways could not even open the file.
    should i try exporting as adifferent file type? help?

13. bartv
    bartv Member
  14. nigel
    nigel Member
    I have been working on a fairly complex model using SketchUp and I export it as a .dea file to Meshlab and it looks great, solid surfaces and showing clean boundaries. However, when I export to Shapeways with the meshfix, there is always some error. I am about to pull out my hair on this with frustration. The URL for the model is: https://www.shapeways.com/model/410438/1973mmhalfbody91__v2_. html?gid=ug This is a sample which I'm using to get the bugs cleaned before building a complete model. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

15. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Natkins,

that's really hard to tell without having access to the model and knowing which errors you see. Also, the URL you included doesn't work.

Bart

16. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    Do you convert .MAX files to .OBJ? Either the software or my computer is acting up. Id hate to reload it again...

17. bartv
    bartv Member
    I'm afraid not..

Bart

18. ChrisDraven
    ChrisDraven Member
    Can you convert lightwave?

Cheers

Chris

19. bartv
    bartv Member
    HI ChrisDraven,

I'm afraid not, but Lightwave should be able to export to STL or OBJ I believe?

Cheers,

Bart

20. ChrisDraven
    ChrisDraven Member
    it does but when I try to upload the file it fails on your end despite it being completed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.