Talk detail with me ;)

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 297996_deleted, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Hello hello!

Through a random string of interwebs coincidences I ended up here, and boy am I glad I did. Allright, so am I 3d student, and like any other creation addict, I'd absolutely love to have my favourite creations standing around me, singing my praises.

Now! I've been browsing through the apparently endless gallery of 3d models and prints on this website, and must say that I am conflicted. At one point I find this masterpiece, and am of course very excited at the possibilities. The details here are very well done and it seems that the model has come out exactly how (I imagine) the 3d model must've been.

Then however, I come across something like this. Here the details are entirely washed out, and quite frankly useless, if you wanna display a piece of art.

Now, I realize that the top one is of a different material than the last one, but I'd like to know to expect. Can I expect similar detail levels to the lovely bandstand if I chose the same material?

Also, I've noticed that the frosted detail plastic seems to have a higher detail level than white detail plastic(the bandstand is a perfect example). I've also been reading "horror stories" of printing layers being very obvious in the white detail plastic.
    Now, this kinda bothers me, because as a display material, having it semi transparent isn't really what I'd be looking for, but on the other hand, I really want the best possible surface finish.

I realize this is a lot to take in, but as a student I can't really afford to make uninformed choices, so I hope you can bare with me. I'm very excited that todays technology is at the point where this is possible.

Quick edit: hm this one seems to be in white detail, and has fine detail definition. Boy am I conflicted :p.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    As you mentioned, they are printed in very different materials. And I think your off on your guess of the materials. The first is the Bandstand which I believe is printed in Frosted Ultra Detail (What we call FUD). This has crazy detail levels. Yes, there can be lines, caused by the support material. If you read the description of the Bandstand, it tells you to visit his site for instructions on finishing and painting. It took me a second to find the sheet, but here's the link. The ships you linked to appear to be printed in Nylon (What we call White strong and flexible or WSF). This is no where near as detailed of a material. It's usually selected for its lower price, and is better for larger items, that don't require such small details.

The companion cube, looks to be a render. I could be wrong but the material and finish don't look familiar to me.

3. Oh, but I think I did mention the bandstand being Frosted detail. I guess the ultra was missing, but oh well. My main concern however, is that there seems to be a choice between detail and having a material that actually gives a proper surface. Assuming white detail plastic doesn't provide the level of detail that frosted ultra detail does of course.

This frustrates me a little. If I am to display a character, I can't imagine having him/her semi transparent is a good idea, I feel some detail may be hard to see. On the other hand, I don't wanna choose white detail plastic and experience missing details, if you know what I mean.

I guess I'm wondering what you'd recommend as a display material for a character´. I'm guessing if I inteded to paint it (which I don't) the frosted ultra would be a no brainer, but since it sorta has to hold it's own, does the frosted ultra detail plastic create enough of a "surface" for details to show?

(oh and yea, the cube may well be a render... why don't people upload pictures of printed versions >.<, that's what im interested in darn it :p )

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    What you could do is use FUD and coat it with primer. From what I've read, the FUD doesn't show well in photographs. Check out the post production section for different techniques and results.

5. thank you for your quick responses so far, been really helpful. Being danish, I'm unfamiliar with certain names of products in english. I assume primer is a thin coat of paint?

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    There is a product available at hobby stores in the United States called Bestine, chemical name Heptane. It's used as solvent for Rubber Cement.
    If you soak FUD in it for 15-20 minutes, not only will it remove the waxy support material, but the surface of the models also turn a nice opaque white.

Some people don't want to use it because it's so volatile.. both smelly and flammable, but it does a great job.

7. Ah yes, I just read about that wax business. I guess killing two birds with one stone wouldn't be too bad. I'll have a look in local hobby stores to see if they have this thing, or atleast something similar (hell, maybe I have something lying around already).

8. Another thing I just remembered and might aswell get outta the way. In another thread, someone mentioned the wings of his 3d printed planes in FUD drooped. I was wondering if this is common with this material? Will tinner surfaces "droop" with time?

9. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    It's not so much "with time".

The initial cleaning process to remove the support material heats the model to 150 degrees (F)
    Thin (0.3mm) unsupported surfaces can droop a bit because of the heat, but often if you put the item into nice hot water, you can straighten it out.
    The production team works pretty hard to prevent this drooping..but, if a model arrives too "droopy", you can even ask for a reprint.

You need to know: If you make FUD about a millimeter or so thick, it can be rather strong.
    This model http://shpws.me/lDev has walls that are 1.13mm, and I'd dare say that it'd support 15 pounds or more without breaking.

10. hm I see. Perhaps I'm simply too cautious about all this, I just don't wann waste my money or be disapointed.

11. Youknowwho4eva
    Maybe you should get a material sample kit? It costs $25 but you get a $25 gift card to use so it's almost like being free.

12. to be fair, it costs 30 dollars, but I see your point :) Thanks for pointing it my way, I think you're right.

13. Youknowwho4eva
    That is my fault, you're right it is $30 now. Plus shipping. So not free, but a cheaper test of results.