How do I upload a wrl file with a texture?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by Oreosmooshy, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Oreosmooshy
    Oreosmooshy Member
    So i've got a simple colored marble I want to print in sandstone. I've got both the wrl of the file (with the texture applied to the model) and the jpg texture, but simply uploading it doesn't work and I get the message "Please check the uploaded file to make sure the texture is in the root directory (we don't support textures in subfolders)." How do I put the texture into the root directory, wherever that is?

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Create a zip file that contains both the wrl and the jpg , and make sure that the reference to the texture within
    the wrl file does not contain any folder hierarchy. (Also be warned that uploading seems to be a bit broken since
    last night's update to the site software, there have been several complaints about spurious errors in the forums already)

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Open the WRL with Notepad or some other text editor.
    Search for the text ".jpg"

You will see something like this:
    texture
    ImageTexture {
    url "brick.jpg"
    }

make sure that the "url" does not contain a path. it should NOT look like this:
    url "c:\users\myname\desktop\brick.jpg"

if it does, you need to remove the part in green, making it just
    url "brick.jpg"

Then place the WRL and the texture both into a ZIP file that has NO internal folders.

4. Exactly what I needed. I was getting the same errors and was about to go back to WSF :eek:

Thanks

Paul

5. I'm getting the texture uploading with the model but the map cooirdinates are not what I see in my viewport.
    Do i need to unwrap my object and collapse the stack before rendering to texture? I'm using 3DS Max 2010 :confused

Paul

6. Oreosmooshy
    Oreosmooshy Member
    I'm afraid I don't know :( . I use C4D and it worked fine for me.