cast in brass rather than silver?

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by rlenicheck, Jan 13, 2013.

1. rlenicheck
    rlenicheck Member
    Would you guys consider casting pieces in brass rather than silver? I see that your silver pieces look as if they are printed and then used for a pattern to cast using the lost wax method?

2. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    THat is indeed exactly how our 3D printed silver process works.

They are 3D printed in wax and then cast using the lost wax casting method.

Currently we do not offer brass, but we are looking into offering other metals soon!

Natalia

3. replicaprops
    replicaprops Member
    I'm bumping this because I also want brass as an option.

Brass is a great metal and I have used it in lost wax castings many times before. If you use 360 yellow brass it is actually easier to cast than silver is. It is also easier to polish and finish.

Please, please offer brass soon.

4. mingles
    mingles Member
    Definitely would be interested in this. Gold plating the brass would be a fantastic thing to see too.

5. Are there any black metalis options available? like in the movie. Which materials exactly can an item like this be printed in? Thanks Guys

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Like in what movie? If you look in the post production section, I've seen bleach and eggs used to achieve a black patina.

7. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    OK, well we've got gold plated brass now, using the lost wax process... and this was MY thought too as soon as I saw it what was inside the gold. Why not make it possible to just leave off the gold plating?

Model makers (particularly ship and railroad modellers) as well as jewelers have used the lost wax process for brass parts for a LONG time... the process itself is over 5000 years old! Now, I understand why you might want to... shall we say restrict the size of brass parts? And I won't say why... But there are some things for which it's just so much better than anything else... and being able to get real cast brass bits for modelling would be fantastic. I'm not quite ready to try it yet, but this would be SO much superior to Aluminide... You'd get real, solid metal, that you could actually tap and screw into, or solder for assembly, at a reasonable (well, more reasonable than gold or silver...) price.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  8. replicaprops
    replicaprops Member
    Hey shapeways. Your competition offers unplated brass castings already. They just dont have stores for the members ........................YET!!
    Don't drop the ball on this. The brass ball that is

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Hey guys, we have a thread just for your thoughts on gold plated brass and what direction we should go. We are aware of the competition, and we are listening to what the people want.