Failed model.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GADesign, Jan 3, 2013.

1. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    I've orderd some models along with a pinhole camera and recieved it on 21 december.

When i opened the package i saw that the pinhole camera didn't really look like what i've designed, it seems that something has gone wrong with the model.

As you can see in the pictures that i will post in comments, i'm missing the front of the camera *1 there are holes that i did'nt design *2 even a hole thet seems to be threaded *3 The model is thicker and it has features that i also did'nt designed *4

I've already mailed to service@shapeways.com twice from my mail adres info@gunterartdesign.com but did'nt get a reply, i really hope you can help me on this ?

Kind Regards,
    Wesley Günter

Owner/Designer Günter Art & Design

Shapeways Render :
    674x501_808952_686780_1354564648.jpg

2. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    1.jpg

3. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    2.jpg

4. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    3.jpg

5. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    4.jpg

6. GADesign
    GADesign Member
  7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Looks like two similar models were mixed up in shipping. I'll talk to service to see what's going on.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  8. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    Well it looks a bit like my model so that would mean someone has a similar design ?

It looks to me that 2 models were blended into one in the process of nesting the models befor printing, or someone has addes some features to testprint.

I've never had any problems like this so i really would'nt know ?

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    We'll see if we can't find out, but it looks to me like similar items got swapped.

10. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    That's an interesting problem you have there Shapeways. Considering the volume that you are producing everyday I can see how this would tend to occur.

After brainstorming numerous methods I cannot seem to find a good solution, being that everything is mixed together during printing.

One I idea I have is to go by weight, since the exact volume is known for each model. Problem is, trace amounts of non-printed material attached to the finished parts that was not cleaned off properly would tend to throw in enough variability to make it less than exact.

Other than printing a bar-code with each part that could be snapped off just before shipping, there are no other absolute methods I can think of at this time. If the problem were mine I would start working on a method of quick 3D scanning coupled with 3D part comparison and recognition software.

11. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    If this is indeed a case of similar models getting swapped, I would chalk it up as another milestone reached for shapeways :D
    (i.e. how many concurrent orders are necessary to make this unlikely event actually happen ?)

12. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    2 similar models printed in the same material/colour at the same time :confused

I'm hoping it dous'nt have the same function, i was kinda expecting to have the first 3D printed Pinhole camera design :D