Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 274166_deleted, Dec 28, 2012.

1. I have placed two orders and I'm anxious to see how they come out, but I feel like I'm seeing fewer polys / vertices in the preview render that shapeways provide. So that the uploaded model is less smooth than my original file. I'm using blender for modeling and doing subdivide smooth for extra polys/smoothness as opposed to adding a modifier. Any suggestions for future uploads?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Any chance that you have a smoothness render, that would make your item look smooth but not translate to more polys? I know that's possible in Blender, but I don't know which tools do what. I'm sure a Blender head will be able to help you with that.

3. No, no smoothness, and I can see the polys. I'm not using and subserf modifers, all I do I subdivide smooth, which should create new vertices.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Interesting, can you show us a side by side comparison? I probably won't be able to help you much about what settings we use in our render until next week. You can email service, and they'll be able to help you with what your model will look like, and maybe about the render differences.

5. Here's more or less what I'm seeing, thrown together in photoshop:

Appreciate you taking a look.

[​IMG]

6. First it looks like you applied just regular subdivision.All that does is separate each face into 4 faces. You would need use the Catmull /Clark subdivision modifier and apply it. Make sure to apply it, lol. Set shading to flat to always see what the print will look like If you want, you can attach the Blendfile here in an attacmnent.

Here is a link to some examples on smoothing stuff https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=1 2123&goto=59090#msg_59090

Keith

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  7. Yeah I think I did a normal subdivide. I'll have to go back to an early save and redo it. Do you know if I can re-upload the new model and cancel the old one? Naturally I already paid for it.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Email service and they can cancel the order for you. Then you can upload a new model, and re-order with the new model.

9. I redid the curve entirely using beziers and it came out perfect. I emailed service, asking if they can swap models, haven't heard back but it is the weekend.

10. Good deal, BT, curves are a pretty powerful tool in Blender. It should turn out really smooth. Did you use a bevel object along the curve or did you use extrusion?

Service should send you a confirmation Monday. They like the weekends also, lol.

Keith

11. I used extrusion. Now I'll have to go learn about bevel objects. Sounds like I use a cross sectional shape and pass it through the curve. Yeah I wound up creating 2 beziers, converted them to a mesh, filled the faces and extruded. The uploaded model looks perfectly smooth. Have a look, it is upside down and mirrored -- the design has the letters C and V (my girlfriends initials) inside a heart. It's going to be a necklace printed in silver.
    [​IMG]

Still really hoping shapeways will swap my models and print the good version.

12. Looks great!!

13. Thanks, I think it does too.

14. Update: Shapeways gave me a full credit for the first order and I reordered the correct model.

15. Update: Oh how I wish I knew about bevel objects. So much simpler and more professional.

16. victorrings
    victorrings Well-Known Member
    FREDD and all-
    you do not need to apply any object modifiers. you just need to check the option box in the export function to apply all modifiers. so save yourself and only apply those modifiers only when you have to.
    c

17. That is a really good tip, as you are more and more locked in to the vertices if you Apply. It also means you don't have to save a copy in order to export. Modeling is crazy, there is so much to learn, and I though Photoshop was difficult. Typically (this model included) just after I finish a model I learn a new technique that would have saved hours/days of work.

18. victorrings
    just remember-
    what you see on the screen is what you are going to get in the stl file. i usually leave the subsurf modifier left on 2 and like 4 or 5 for rendering... when you export to stl it is picking up on what it is set to on the view option not the render option...

this is also a way control polycount. shapeways has a limit on points.

if you want to see what is capable with Blender and Shapeways- check out my website...

https://victorrings.weebly.com/index.html

it is all BLENDER and shapeways...

let me know what you think.

c

19. The website is fantastic, amazing artwork / modeling. Nice clean website design too. Two thumbs up.

20. victorrings
    thanks.
    i have been working on it for a little while without much feedback so every little bit helps. i am going to try and push it pretty hard in the new year and really up my sales.

the original idea was directed at "team" sales trying to replicate the trophy rings that professional athletes get. but as of yet i haven't had any takers.

c