WRL file with texture not working correctly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 273217_deleted, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Hi all. I'm a 3D modeler/animator who is new to 3D print models and their specs.
    I have been trying to upload to Shapeways a .wrl file with a .jpg texture referenced to the model itself.
    I use Maya and exported the 3D file and texture.
    Shapeways customer support keeps having trouble either opening the file and/or finding the texture.
    Is there something I may be doing wrong? I've done all I know to fix this and need some tech. advice.
    Using Maya 2010.

Thanks,

Patrick

2. This may sound too simple, but are you uploading a ZIP file with the .wrl file and the texture inside?

3. Yes, I exported the .wrl file, referenced the texture .jpg to the file from inside its own zipped folder that I uploaded to shapeways.
    I zipped each individual file by selecting the wrl file, the rgb file that was created upon export, and the .jpg texture file.
    Thanks Marcus

4. You should have only two files inside the ZIP - the Texture (.jpg) and the .wrl file....like so:
    Sketchup-Logo-for-3D-printing-SCF-tutorial-9c.jpg

It should not be double-zipped. Does that make sense?

5. Just select the texture and wrl, with both selected compress them, Then upload the zip.
    The rgb file you mentioned may not be necessary to zip with the wrl and texture file. Try just the wrl and texture.

I hope it is not the infamous wrl coding problem(Shivers)
    Keith

6. Thanks all. Yes, I've been doing this procedure, with selecting both the texture and wrl file , then compressing them both into a .zip archive folder.
    No luck so far , have tried twice this way. But I did just upload another archive .zip folder with a new .wrl file and .jpeg file. The rgb file that accompanied the wrl file I was told can be opened in fcheck and saved as a .jpeg..so I did this and will see if this works.
    Does anyone know of a free vrml viewer online? I've tried several for my mac but no luck here either. I just want to see on my end if the wrl file opens before I waste my time uploading to Shapeways only to get an error email from CS. Thanks!

7. Meshlab opens .wrl files and works on Mac.

8. Thanks Marcus!

9. Ok. I just downloaded and installed MeshLab, and realized that I can just export the model as an .obj in Maya with texture referenced..then open the .obj in Meshlab and save as .wrl. I tried this and it worked, with texture and all! So hopefully no more errors. Thanks all!

Patrick