Some Screen Shots of Uploaded Models from Netfabb that were Rejected.

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by SRZDesign, Dec 22, 2012.

1. SRZDesign
    SRZDesign Member
    I have been uploading various files and strangely some get accepted and many told to give more love to them, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. These are shots of three models from Netfabb after doing an analysis. They are all non manifold and everything seems to be okay on the results, yet it's rejected. Does anyone know what the checkered areas with alternating shading means? Or has any helpful advice Thanks. I have tried to upload wall thickness varying from 1mm to 2.5 mm. I think that cylidrical products like some of mine need to be at least 2mm, while flat models can pass as 1mm.

Attached Files:

2. The red means that those face normals are oriented incorrectly. Click the redcross. Look to the left of it . Click select triangle button. Now select the red triangles on the model. When finished selecting them,click the flip triangle button, apply repair. When finished save as a stl.

Keith

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. SRZDesign
    SRZDesign Member
    Thank you for that suggestion. I selected all the faces of the models and made sure they all faced outward. Now that problems seems to be solved, however shapeways still doesn't accept the file. I'm thinking about orientation of the models, only other thing I can think of. Here are the new screenshots.

Attached Files:

4. Okaay, are you engraving your initials into it, or just cutting them through the surface. You cannot really tell from a screen shot.
    What are the units you want both printed in, Looks like around 28+ cm in height for one. Just pm me the stl of the smaller, the larger one will prolly have the same problem, or post the file here in a post so others can help.

Keith

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  5. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  6. SRZDesign
    SRZDesign Member
    Thanks Rob and Keith. I'm working on fixing this to get a "Victory" reply from Shapeways lol

7. SRZDesign
    SRZDesign Member
    They are being accepted now. I just needed to reduce the poly count by 5%.

Fredd I'm cutting them through the surface. This stage was pretty complicated as I'm dealing with irregular shapes of letters and trying to reduce the poly count while combining with the rest of the model in matching number of loops, etc. These recent two models uploaded are 10 cm and 28 cm tall (biggest model I'm making so far). In case anyone was wondering, the taller one is a dispenser for micro-fiber towels to be mounted above sink in a corner, the smaller one is a dispenser for toilet paper roll to be used as paper tissues as an alternative to regular tissues if you are out or just prefer this alternative (I use soft high quality toilet paper and find it better for my runny nose than regular tissues and they last about 5 times longer for the same price, to each his own).

Some of my models Shapeways might not be optimal place to sell them due to cost, but even if it's just a prototype and some customer feedback it's a very good deal and important step. I would like to sell as many as I can here but it's case by case. (If I find anyone interested at all! lol) Worst case I get models to use for myself. Such a relief now with these technical issues resolved as I can go forward and get these printed. Thanks everyone again for your help.

8. Glad to see you got over the hump between modelling and modeling for rapid prototyping printing. Which is a artform in itself.
    Does not matter if your models are not big sellers. You have the unique opportunity to actually hold a model you designed in your hands, which many 3d artists never will, lacking your dedication to learn the correct workflow in modelling them. Also knowing how to create models in the future you might want to print.:)

Besides you never know, a company that needs a fancy TP dispenser might buy the rights.

Keith

P.S Thanks also for allowing me to help. Assisting someone will keep your skills up everytime.