High detailed Stainless steel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 162216_deleted, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

so i saw there is also high detailed stainless steel available in other company's.
    Do you think to add this material in near future, too?

Best wishes
    Icarus3d

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I think you'll find that a 'high detail' stainless print is using Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMSL) technology which costs considerably more than the Shapeways / ProMetal partnership method. I'd be very surprised if high detail DMSL stainless models were cheaper than Shapeways Silver for the same volume of material used.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    We are always looking at, and into new materials. We just have to make sure that they make sense to our community. That includes cost, finish, accuracy, and reliability. Plus probably other qualities that I don't know.

4. I think it isn't DMSL,

You can find it on.
    Google

I think it is a very nice cause of the thin wall thickness, which would be great for pendants.

Hope it's allowed to post this link here
    Best wishes
    Icarus3D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If you had a link for the printer manufacturer or something I wouldn't mind, but we don't want to promote other services on our forum. Even though I know that wasn't your intent.

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Me is surprised!

Cost of that 'Google for it service' is a bit less than Shapeways silver per cc. And you're right, it doesn't appear to be DMSL technology.

It would be nice to hear your experiences of the material.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

7. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Bathsheba mentioned it, fcubic AB, now owned by Höganäs.

8. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Yes, there are some comments and pictures about the material in this thread: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=11177& amp;start=0&

Having dealt directly with fcubic (although not with Hoganas) I'm not entirely surprised it isn't up yet. Shapeways is a big player these days, and when this material launches here it's likely to launch big, exactly because the process is so good. It's a fine line: we don't like being late to the party, but we also don't like late parts and random price changes, which means we want this to happen after the company is ready to handle some volume and has stabilized its pricing.

I'd love to see a taster promo, like the short-term trials we've seen for some other materials. (My mother has a Glazed part, and she _still_ asks when I can get more!)

Meanwhile one lives in hope. Or one ponies up a few grand and deals direct with the supplier. Personally, in my old age I'm starting to feel grateful that there's now someone else to take those hits for me.

9. Hi so i searched for the price and it seems to be more than the silver price in Shapeway. Price is in Euro.

So i prefer more silver of course :p