Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Wahtah, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    I wanted to prolongue my credits by buying gift cards with them but it looks like this is not possible. Please tell me this is a mistake...

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Any issues with your credits, it's best to contact service.

3. 27479_deleted
    27479_deleted Member
    Hi Wahtah,

Indeed,- you can not use store credits on gift cards, if you e-mail us @: service@ shapeways .com we can cancel your store credit and request a refund for you.

Hope to hear from you.
    Cheers Maartje

4. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    Thanks, I will do that. I'm glad you are this flexible with the credits. But that should be evident without having to ask about it.
    Right now it seems out of tune with ShapeWays' reputation as a nice company:
    - when you buy a gift card, there is no warning that they are only valid for a year (right?)
    - you are actively preventing users from buying new gift cards with credits. I really can't think of a positive sounding reason for this.
    - I also think there is a legal problem shapeways should look into: both Dutch and US federal rules seem to state that gift cards should be valid for at least 5 years (the Dutch rules say you can have a shorter period as long as it's known up front).

5. 27479_deleted
    27479_deleted Member
    Hi Wahtah,

You can change the giftcard code into a store credit, than it is valid for ever! We switched over to store credits since August 2012, see your profile: My Credits section.

About the payment method, I need to look into the reason for this, but I think it has to do with not having the possibility to refund Gift cards.

Hope this was helpful.

6. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    Okay great! That sounds a lot better and I already did that a long time ago, so the only problem is, you are keeping it a secret! My credit page says:

Credit Type Credit Code Original Value Remaining Value Expiration Date
    Gift Card Xxxxx $100.00 $41.33 2012-12-31

And no mention of credit being valid forever, so you can see why I was worried about that expiration date...

Thanks for clearing that up!

7. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  8. 27479_deleted
    27479_deleted Member
    Just sent you a E-mail.
    It is different in your case, - you have old coupons in your my credits, they will expire after the date.
    We use store credit since August 2012, those credits will not expire anymore.
    I advise you to E-mail us after the expiring date as mailed, - than we will add the same amount as new store credit to your account, this will not expire.
    We need to wait till the expiring date is passed because I can not invalidate old coupons anymore.

Hope this was helpful and I hope to hear from you in 2013!!!