I don't think a whole lot of UPS.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 251405_deleted, Dec 14, 2012.

1. According to the tracking website for UPS, my order arrived and was scanned in at origin, in Maspeth, NY, on Monday, December 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM.

It was placed on the truck for delivery on Wednesday, December 12, at 8:25 A.M. for a transit time of 1 Day, 13 Hours, 24 Minutes.

The UPS website had it originally listed to be delivered by close of business on Wednesday, December 12. It has been on the truck, marked "out for delivery" for a grand total of 2 Days, 7 Hours, 35 Minutes. Almost TWICE as long as it took to get from New York, to the distribution center in Swainsboro, Georgia, some 36 miles away.

The projected date of delivery is now December 18.

Are they walking the package from Swainsboro? What do I have to do to get this dang thing delivered to me?

I am not very happy. :mad:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Have you called the distribution center?

3. They don't have an "incoming call number" that UPS will give me.

They keep telling me it's "marked out for delivery, and should be on the truck, let me look into it" and I don't get much else out of them.

4. Youknowwho4eva
  5. According to the useless CSR at UPS, it was "routed to an incorrect facility" and has been sent to "the correct one in Pleasantdale, Ga"

Pleasantdale is over 120 miles from me. It was in Swainsboro, which is 35 miles away, and according to their screwed up system, it now won't get here until late in the day on the 18th.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    That is frustrating. But at least it's still on it's way.

7. Yeah, well... I was hoping to have it in time to prime and paint it, before I needed it on the evening of the 18th.

May not get here in time.

Might I suggest to the powers that be at Shapeways, that they find some other service to ship packages? Say, USPS Priority Mail instead? At least the Post Office people know how to deliver mail. Brown isn't good for anything.

8. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    UPS depends very much on your local driver.

Then again, USPS does too. In my own shop I offer Priority Mail as an option, but only grudgingly because UPS rates have escalated so much in the last few years. It's not my favorite because tracking numbers don't mean anything. UPS can tell you where a package is, and even if they have misrouted it they can nearly always find it again. But if a USPS package gets lost it's just gone: all their tracking numbers are good for is is confirm delivery after the fact.

Gripping hand, no shipper is perfect at this time of year.

9. PeregrineStudios
    PeregrineStudios Well-Known Member
  10. Bathsheba:

It isn't about the "local delivery driver" it is about UPS re-routing my package to another distribution center that is over 145 miles away from me, when they had it at a distribution center that was only 35 miles away from me. And then, they did not update the tracking information to reflect that. It is still marked as "out for delivery" on the tracking page of the UPS website.

The local guys are pretty good. I know most of them by name. It is about UPS in general not giving a rat's rosy red rear about their customer base.

Peregrine:

You're right. Until Shapeways starts being more interested in their customers' satisfaction and more interested in providing decent service, nothing will change.

I now won't have any time to do anything to the part that I ordered, if there is anything that needs to be done with it. I can't paint it, I can't use it, and I feel like I have wasted the money I spent on it, because it is now a completely useless thing to me. I ordered when I did, and from whom I did, because it was clear that my order would be delivered on time, and before I needed it.

Unless or until Shapeways gives the people who give them money another shipping option, they won't get my business any longer.

I'm voting with my wallet. Shapeways won't get any more money from me. I don't care how good their stuff is. It's my money, and I choose where I spend it.

And if Shapeways won't listen to me, it's their loss. I am the one they are getting money from. I can spend my money better than they can. They won't get any more from me because of this. If everyone did that, there wouldn't be any more Shapeways. So they'd better listen.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012