3d printing how to explain it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Josenarvaez, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Josenarvaez
    Josenarvaez Member
    hello everyone i just recently showed my 3d printed designs to all people in my facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Idea10
    and with some details i have to fix in my designs they are almost ready to sell here in shapeways
    or even in my facebook page, just a question: how to explain the 3d printing process? to show the hole process of the design?
    well, if you can give me a like in the page too i will appreciate it :laughing:
    have a nice day

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    There's quite a few videos on YouTube that show the print processes for some of the materials.

My usual explaination to people I meet is;
    A layer of powder is laid down. A laser zaps the powder to melt the powder into a slice of the model, the whole lot is repeated over and over until all of the slices are fused together, Any excess powder is removed and you end up with something like this - this is when I hand over an item for them to look at. At this point, they either 'get it' or they don't.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I use an explanation very similiiar to Pauls, except that I use the word "melt" instead of "zap". <grin>
    It does really bend their minds though if you show them a peice that has moving parts, and explain that it required no assembly out of the printer.

After I explain it.. most people I meet say "That's really cool... can you make one of THESE??"
    They never seem to want one of what I am holding.. but they've cooked up an idea for a new design on the spot. <grin>

5. Josenarvaez
    Josenarvaez Member
    well, thanks for all your explanation it seems to me very clearly to show the hole process and with the videos and pictures there´s no way can´t understand me :laughing: hopefully more people will be interested in 3d printting and their multiple possibilities. it´s really amazing that what you can do on your computer in your home can become something real that you can hold in your hand. :eek: Everyone should know this