Small meshes removed on upload.

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by stop4stuff, Dec 1, 2012.

1. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I've been making some model train parts, and using NetFabb Cloud Service to boolean join all of the seperate meshes into one single mesh. Unfortunately NetFabb Cloud Service seem to be broken this morning :(

I uploaded the model to Shapeways anyway and to my surprise a small cylinder (representing the end of a bolt) was removed from my uploaded model. This issue has been raised before, but obviously still remains.

missing-parts.JPG

For me this is not such a big thing as I know what I need to do to before uploading - it just a pain and will take me longer to complete the model :(

For others, this could be the difference between a happy Shapeways customer and an angry ex-Shapeways customer.

Paul

[hr][hr]

2. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Hey Paul,

this is probably because the missing part is sharing the same face (overlapping faces).
    could you try to extrude the missing some part a bit in the other part?

this way it will get unified correctly and it should show up

mitch

3. stop4stuff
    Nope, the seperate watertight and manifold shells overlap by 0.15mm and share no common faces.
    Here's a screenshot,

parts.JPG

Here's another example of disapearing small yet acceptable shells, both are the same model, the first was sent through NetFabb Cloud Service before upload to Shapeways, the 2nd uploaded straight to Shapeways. http://shpws.me/lo4d and http://shpws.me/mMtn - I've set the moodels to be downloadable, and you can see from the 2nd one that parts are removed

Paul

4. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hey Paul,

I have forwarded this topic to our 3D development team and asked them to look into this for you!

Mitch

5. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    It seems this issue already cropped up earlier this year:

See this thread:
    https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=5116 2

It seems the upload softwre does indeed remove very small pieces, as a filter against 3d-modelling artifacts that may crop up with some programs.

Greetings
    Dragoman

6. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hey Paul,

Just received note from our development team!
    "Netfabb removes ghost shells that are too small to be printed even if the shells intersect larger printable shells. What netfabb should do is merge intersecting shells before removing any left over ghost shell. "

We are working on a fix which hopefully fix this issue in the near future.
    However there are some issues with the newest software so we want to make sure it's a stable version before updating.

If you would like, you can email me (mitchell [at] shapeways) and I can send you the merged shells file which should upload fine :)

mitch

7. stop4stuff