What Material would YOU want Shapeways to offer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by randomblink, Jul 24, 2009.

Materials / Special Prints Requested

1. Silver

2. Silicone

3. ABS Plastic

4. Nickel / Steel (or a better metal for coin development)

5. Glass

6. Something that costs $0.25 per cubic cm

7. Colored Printable Materials

8. Alumide

9. Wax (for mold development)

10. Brass

11. Ceramics

12. Multi-Material Prints

13. Chocolate

14. Lightweight Metals

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    If Shapeways Developers could select from any material, any finish, any look and/or any feel... what would you want?

from the original question

(can't get the poll to allow multiple selections... hrm. I guess just vote on the one from the list you would want the most, I'm for ABS Plastic, I wanna develop Custom Lego.)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    My requests would be:[list type=disc]
    [*] Silver ( at a reasonable price )
    [*] Silicone ( to make molds to cast my own things )
    [*] ABS Plastic ( I am dying to get into custom Lego development )
    [*] Nickel / Steel ( I would love to make coins for games and such )
    [*] Glass ( I don't even know / care if this is possible, but I would LOVE to make my own drinking cups and... um... Water Pipes? )
    [*] Drinking Bottle Plastic ( to make drinking devices and see-thru )
    [/list]

Obviously a dream list, but there it is.

3. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    Something that costs around $0.25 per cubic cm so I can print disposible prototypes....

hehe

4. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Well let's see ... we already have a black, a white, a translucent, a metal, and a relatively cheap material.

So I think it's really time for a coloured printable material. And by this I mean, a material that can be tatooed or printed with an image based on the image applied on a model. It's the only thing that is missing really.

-Whystler

5. joris
    joris Member
    I like the idea of a super cheap material that would be used for iterative development. It could be a lot less cool too then, right?

6. iguffick
    iguffick Member
    EOS produce a material called Alumide for their SLS printers.
    It's the normal SLS material with grains of aluminium.
    Although the final part is not metal, it gives a metallic appearance and can be ground.
    It also gives a non-porous object.
    There are no post processing operations like the 'proper' metal materials, so it should be cheaper!

They also have a carbon loaded material that could be useful for anyone wanting to electroplate their models. Although I'm not certain it is conductive?

Ian.

7. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    i would love to see a material which can be used to make a good mold :D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  8. joris
    joris Member
    Good molds or wax 3D printing seems to be a great thing for jewelery makers, but would a lot of you use it also?

9. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    I probably would. Not that I'm going to get into Jewelry creafting. But I could see myself making a mold for little metal parts.

10. 3401_deleted
    3401_deleted Well-Known Member
    What about V-Flash printing ? http://www.modelin3d.com . This could maybe allow a low cost per cm^3 but with overall good quality.

11. joris
    joris Member
    I haven't seen many parts by them personally, I'll order some samples but so far it doesn't look much cheaper than the usual stuff.

12. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    Not sure what you are referring to with the V-Flash. I have requested a quote from their online system once (Providing basically the same service as Shapeways) They came in roughly 5 times more expensive. If you are suggesting buying a V-Flash printer, I'll caution you on this.

Any company that does not openly post the price tag is doing so to avoid "Sticker Shock". LOLz :D

I priced out several 'low end' 3D printers and came to the conclusion that my definition of 'Affordable' and the vendors definition were vastly different. I.e. I could see myself paying under $5000 for a decent machine. Most >cough< "affordable 3D decent printers start at around $15000 USD.

13. joris
    joris Member
    15k, thats a bargain!

14. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member

LOLz! Not on my budget!

15. settinger
    settinger Member
    I would use wax 3-d printing if Shapeways offered it. For sure.

In the meantime, WSF can be used for lost-wax casting. Original forum post with details.

It's sort of different, but I'd also like to see Shapeways offer laser-cutting, like what Ponoko does.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  16. EFFalcon
    EFFalcon Member
    I'd love a dirt cheap material as mentioned above, spending $200 only to realise i stuffed up aint fun :p

and something that can offer a smooth finish. - supersuper detail material :p

17. robert
    robert Member
    I like all your suggestions. Keep them coming!

How should we handle shippingcost with a dirt cheap material? If you want to make a model for $5 and we want it to ship to you it is obviously more expensive than $5. How should we handle that?

Cheers!

Robert

18. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If it were slightly closer to the cost of injection molding, we could order in bulk and set up a land based store, or if we have interested businesses we could set up a warehouse. Oooooh imagine selling skids of models at a time. I would like to see glass printing myself. Color and Multi Color prints. Brass. photovoltaics (JK on that one would be cool but it will be years), ceramics, multi material prints, Copper, thats about all I can think of.

19. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    Chocolate! I demand Chocolate!

That way if my design isn't up to snuff, I can eat dat bad boy!

:laughing: LOLz :laughing: ​

20. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member