Eggbot is ready to serve

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by mygadgetlife, Nov 19, 2012.

1. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    This idea came to me a while back, but after struggling to replicate Robby the Robot in the computer in some detail, it struck me: Keep it simple, stupid!

Ceramic prints like simple, and this is as simple as it gets. But the result is great! Hope you all enjoy...

P.S. My daughter immediately pressed Eggbot into service...

eggbot1.JPG

eggbot2.JPG

eggbot3.JPG

eggbot4.JPG

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Danger Will Robinson! I love it!

3. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    I recognised him before I read your post, so well done, great idea!

4. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    MWAA hah hah hah! That is adorable.

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Eggcellent!

6. bartv
    bartv Member
    WANT!

7. wedge
    wedge Member
    rofl :)

nice!

8. Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. Amazing!

10. mygadgetlife
    Thank you everyone for your comments!

Duann - thanks for the blog posting.

I'm amazed just how well he turned out. (It would be wrong to call him 'it'...)

Also, I reckon he would look awesome done in Satin Black - he'd fit the look of the source material exactly IMHO.

11. Youknowwho4eva
    Satin Black would go better for Robby, I was thinking Robot (was his name really just Robot?) from Lost in Space.

12. Robby Robot.jpg Looks like Robby the Robot from one of my favourite Sci-Fi movies The Forbidden Planet. Robby had hands and legs/feet while the M3/B9 from Lost in Space had claws and track in long shots...hey what can I say I'm a geek. :D

Cracking job I might have to get one in black. M3B9.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  13. Youknowwho4eva
    You must be older than me :laughing: I grew up with lost in space. I've "seen" Robby but wasn't familiar with him until Pawn Stars and American Pickers talked about him while buying versions of him.

14. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    The weird thing is The Forbidden Planet was on TV just yesterday . . . Coincidence?! Probably, yeah, but still weird. The only thing weirder than that is watching Leslie Nielsen play a serious character.

15. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
  16. mygadgetlife
    The actual Robby the Robot prop from the movie is a hugely detailed thing - the build cost was allegedly $125,000 which was a LOT in 1955/56 when the movie was made. The Lost in Space robot was designed by the same bloke - Robert Kinoshita, although others were involved in the design of Robby. (thanks wikipedia)

My model borrows the look in a much more simplified way... just add an an egg!

In any case, I've renamed the model to... Eggby... don't know if I'm happy about that yet :/ What do others think?

The main reason for the rename was to avoid any confusion with the, well, the actual Eggbot product that makers use to decorate eggs and suchlike. There was always the potential for litigation too naming-wise, perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself!

17. It might be a simplified way but it's recognisable. Even my non geek wife saw him and said "that's the robot from Forbidden Planet...cool"

18. 51 this year :laughing: I remember I was about 10 or 11 sneaking downstairs in the wee small hours to watch it. Back in the days before VCR's were in every house. My Dad caught me with about 5 minutes to go and said I might as well see the end then...GET BACK TO BED!!