3d print >molds >cast

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 69996_deleted, Nov 14, 2012.

1. 69996_deleted
    69996_deleted Member
    that is! my revoltech Garou. it's a werewolf. I wrote it's not exactly what I have find in the box since I made positive molds for each piece, this in order to be able to cast a lot of werewolves. (though I made only one so far!!) parts were made here (but even there...)
    it's a revoltech too. it features joints from that company named kaiyodo which brings to you those nice anime figures(I do collect revoltechs so I'm pretty familiar with them).

but I wanted MINE revoltech!! :eek:

I know now it was made before. but this is different. it's not directly 3d printed(way too easy )
    I've made the molds instead! well, it took a while to do, hope you like! :rolleyes:

you could also browse my flickr gallery, it's here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45657404@N08/8182417958/

8182417958_6b3d06e988_b.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    So you print the mold instead of the part? What material for the print and what for the cast?

3. 69996_deleted
    69996_deleted Member
    I've used many materials for prints. i.e. white detail for teeth and wsf for the inner head(a single part sliding into the outer head which comprises eyes, mouth and the neck hole for the joint). really boring to do, the inner head is cast into a 6 parts mold. all the wolf is made in polyurethane resin.
    I'm happy it worked since the inner head is cast into a mold hosting the already made teeth within. very intriguing technique!

claws are also white detail but I've had some issues cleaning the print. hmm.. I tried to get molds with the outer part as much detailed as I can. molds are made in silicone.

I've made this also to experiment different materials anyway, it's still an open project.
    I'm glad you asked!

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I think the confusion is with your title. Your not saying that you used any casts or molds, your saying that 3D printing is greater than either of the other techniques?

5. 69996_deleted
    69996_deleted Member
    ouch! no! brackets just explain the workflow, ok?
    make the 3dprint >then> make the molds out of them >then> cast the final part.

It's to get more copies.
    a silicone mold can produce up to 40 copies.
    but don't ask me what will I do with all those wolves!!

6. stannum
    > could also be read as a short version of -> or "arrow". That was not confusing, other pictures at flickr were.

OK, so you did silicone molds from the 3d print parts and then cast with those, using polyurethane, the "common" thing. Some people do single part molds and then cut them, 6 parts can be very work intensive, yes. Thanks for the info in any case.

The "part inside the mold" is called double shot in plastic injection industry. In hand casting, it's helps reducing bubbles or mixing materials, for example the first one I saw was casting horns and then placing them and casting the body of the full animal, pretty much what you did too. It's just an advanced version multiple step casting, used when the part is so big that it could cause heat problems or take too long to cure.

7. 69996_deleted
    69996_deleted Member
    it's the first time I do this double shot(now I know how to name this technique). I didn't want to paint the teeth, you know..
    painting is not my forte.
    btw could you post the link of the horned creature? I got curious and I'd like to see it.

8. stannum
    Sorry, no, it was time ago. Would a cannon do? They use a metal tube to get a hollow and strong barrel for a scale tank, and also show the "single part mold and then cut it" technique.

Could you explain why your 3D models and prints have big flat surfaces and keys? That is why it looked like you were using 3D prints as molds.

9. 69996_deleted
    69996_deleted Member
    I build a bounding box with lego, that's why parts have flat surfaces all around.
    keys are.. do you mean those pins? I put them to make the molds match perfectly.

8059358643_82ffd5c78c_c.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012