3D printed metal and magnetism?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 21682_deleted, Jul 18, 2009.

1. 21682_deleted
    21682_deleted Member
    Does any of the 3D printable metals stick to a magnet?
    And how brittle it actually is - I mean when I drop a glass shaped 3D metal object?

Thanks in advance,
    T

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. settinger
    settinger Member
    Well, steel is magnetic, so...yes.

As for how brittle it is, I think that would depend on the size and thickness of the object. If you mean a glass such as the tumbler I am presently holding, I think that would be just fine in metal.

3. 21682_deleted
    21682_deleted Member
    Well yes, only the raw steel is magnetic. Stainless steel is not and so are all the soft metals from aluminum to bronze to silver...

4. peterleroux
    peterleroux Member
    Not all stainless steels are magnetic, fortunately the one Shapeways uses is. I don't know if you could permanently magnetise it, but it is attracted to a magnet.

5. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    The Stainless alloy used here is alloy 420. And yes it is definitely magnetic. Quite strongly actually. Maybe even more so than a solid bar of the same alloy! Which is strange considering this is a composite including nearly 40% bronze. The lab guys tell me it has something to do with the use of powdered metal and the heat treatments the prints go through. Weird science for sure.

6. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    So other than powdered metal, can I order new limbs and/or extra internal organs from Shapeways yet? I'll design them myself? I'm thinking like a third eye or wolverine claws?

(chuckle)

7. JukkaK
    JukkaK Member
    I tried to google for alloy 420 for some additional data on it's magnetic properties but didn't gain much. So it is able to quite well carry the magnetic field. In my application I would appreciate a low remaining magnetism, the less the better.

So how about remanence - the remaining magnetism after the current is off from a coil or permanent magnet has been moved from contact? Any numbers or practical "feel" when swept with a permanent magnet and tested to nails or something?

8. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Take a look towards the bottom of
    this page (martensitic)

I tested my daughter's Leo Pendant with a couple of 10mm cube N42 NdFeB magnets... the residual magnetism is enough to hold dressmakers' pins.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  9. JukkaK
    JukkaK Member
    Thank you Paul for the data.