I use SketchUp 3D, how can i convert it to Shapeways support formats?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by cnomis, Oct 28, 2012.

1. cnomis
    cnomis Member
    Halo seniors & masters there, i a newbie.

As title shown. i use Google SketchUp, it save as .skp. any free solution to convert it to the format that Shapeways support?

many thx.

2. You can export Collada (DAE) directly from Sketchup (File -> Export 3D Model...) -- Shapeways accepts Collada files.

You can also export to STL with this free plugin: https://github.com/SketchUp/sketchup-stl

3. cnomis
    cnomis Member
    maybe i use SketchUp 7, so i didnt find the option in file export.

i will try the plugin, see if it s work, thx ur help :D

Simon c.

4. cnomis
    cnomis Member
    thx a lot. i ve tried & success some time ago, but late reply due to the forum was down.

5. Glad to see you had success.:) .dae is not that bad a format though. Holds scene data besides several other types. Main thing though if you create a object, for example a box that is cm 11.1 x 5 x 13.8 Shapeways will print it exactly that, no fiddling with upload measurements.

6. cnomis
    cnomis Member
    but another problem pops out. since i had several parts in a file, but i found it appear only one model when i finally upload to Shapeways.
    i thought that was becoz they need to stick together, but the fact is not. on the other hand, i ve seen many people 's model re printed separately.

is that the limitation of (.dae)? however, i check the file in preview & found no problem, so weird.

7. Shapeways does accept multiple parts in a DAE file. Its hard to say what your problem is without the file, but it's likely a problem in the geometry. Does Sketchup tell you its "Solid" before you export? If so, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Another way to find problems is to export to STL and use Netfabb to check out the file.

8. I don't usually use DAE files, so I just ran some tests and found that you cannot have different groups or components in the DAE file or it will not work. Either the model needs to be completely exploded to loose geometry, or everything in the print needs to be in the same group with no nested groups.

Could that be the problem?

9. cnomis
    cnomis Member
    this makes sense then. My another model appear to be the similar situation, but some parts appear well & some missed (i mean they re both in group status).

So, It s fine now when i export them after i explode pieces. Thx for ur help man, u re the master. :laughing:

10. Cheers, glad its sorted :cool:

Thanks for letting me know it worked!

11. Marcus, another good topic for a tutorial.:)

12. Yes indeed - duly noted. :)

13. I figured I'd post it here instead of starting a new topic. I'm 100% new to Shapeways and to 3D printing. If I have a Sketchup model, I can export it as a Collada. But Sketchup works in planes, so do I need to do anything else to make sure that it will be printed as a solid?

14. cnomis
    cnomis Member
    hi there, as my few experience, i could tell u there s no problem.

All closed geometry should be print in solid. On the other hand, shapeways will check the model u upload b4 they print it. Therefore, they will reply u as error if any ir-printable things.

Or, u could do some check b4 u upload (if u re using Mac, coz i ven't try this on PC). After u export the Collada file, u got a preview (on the side bar when u select the file, or cmd+Y). Here, u see wht u exactly print. if u see nothing or lines that means something wrong. if u see parts missing, collapse component or group & export it again.

hope would help.

15. Whatever dimension measurements you set in SU, Shapeways will print the same dimensions as you set in SU for the .dae export.. Be sure not to have components or groups when you export. If you have them, explode ALL entity's. Then export as a dae. If you are careful when modelling, should not have any flipped normals or holes to cause non manifold issues. Now there is a stl export plugin for SU, where the model needs to be an component.(Solid)