Shapeways Won't Process Model

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by PeregrineStudios, Oct 27, 2012.

1. PeregrineStudios
    PeregrineStudios Well-Known Member
    I've been trying to upload this model for the last couple hours, but Shapeways keeps coming back to me saying 'Sorry, we can't process your model'. I've run it through Netfabb repairs and manual repairs in C4D, I've confirmed it's one shell and the surface is closed, but it won't process the damn model. Plus, this model is EXTREMELY similar to another model I uploaded several days ago - all I've done is change the orientation of the pendant 'hole'.

I've uploaded it to this post, but will be taking it down as soon as my problem is resolved.
    EDIT: Removed, problem identified.

EDIT: I also wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so took my best guess.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Your model has bad geometry.
    Image1.jpg

See the triangles in green? They don't stop at the edge of the raised detail, but rather they run THRU it.. all the way across the face.

You need to either re-apply the boolean join that you attempted, or you need to try running it thru http://cloud.netfabb.com to see if that software can repair it.

3. PeregrineStudios
    Thanks for the reply. I'll get to work on that right away.

Can you tell me what program you used to inspect the model and find the error? Was there an automatic check or did you have to look manually? I'd like to be able ti figure out for myself rather than running to the forums for help every time.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  4. It sure is not manifold. So it was made in 3 sections,
    1. Ring for the chain
    2. extruded circle, with indentation at it bottom
    3. Embossed dragon design
    Part 1 was boolean joined to part 2. Section 3 was not boolean joined to section 2. So the results were not 1 unified surface. Try just selecting parts 1,2,3 export as a stl, do not join meshes, upload to SW.
    I worry that the indentation at the bottom, if the mesh is unified, might cause problems.
    By the way, netfabb basic is a great help. but when you import a model there joined meshes causes problems.
    Its just the logo area was joined with part 2, making both 1 mesh, along with part 1 being part of part 2.

That is what you call a oopsy. A simple mistake causing massive headaches

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  5. PeregrineStudios
    Well this has been a headache mainly because this model has already been successfully printed - I've got it right here. The only difference is the orientation of the ring. I guess that when Shapeways processed the updated model it processed it slightly differently than the first time. I actually just finished redoing the Boolean joining of all three parts, so it should be fine now (hopefully!). Luckily I still had the individual separate 3D files.

6. I am thinking you might can let SW do the boolean ops for you. Works in Blenders, Just select each mesh, then upload as a stl