Eye of Sauron iPhone 5 case

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by joabaldwin, Oct 24, 2012.

1. joabaldwin
    joabaldwin Member
    Hey guys, I just got my new print. It's an iPhone 5 case where the evil Apple logo is the eye of Sauron, watching over your every move from the dark tower of Barad-Dûr. For those who love Apple products yet still love to make fun of their overly-controlling tactics.

sauron_double.jpg

I posted more pictures in the store page, check it out:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/729922/eye_of_sauron_iphone_5 _case.html

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    HAHAHA! As a Droid fan I love it as well ;) Would be cool if you got either an led to illuminate, or a sticker of that photoshop you did.

3. joabaldwin
    joabaldwin Member
    Thanks! Yeah, a sticker would be great... or if not that, at least one can cut a thin ellipse in the shape of the eye slit, out of black electrical tape.

4. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    "Overly controlling"?! Yeah, that's a polite way of saying it :twisted: Great case, BTW.

Glenn

5. im trying to get this case but i cannot find it, i really want it, its so badass

6. maskadelic
    maskadelic Member
    wicked!

7. joabaldwin
    joabaldwin Member
    I had to take it down, because WB owns the LotR brand. No more cases :(

8. So there is no way on getting this case?

9. joabaldwin
    joabaldwin Member
    No, sorry :(

10. lensman
    Oh, come one! Surely if you take the "evil eye" pic out and remove all reference to the inspiration you could sell this! It's a building FFS! Yes, that would rather limit you in the marketing of it but I just don't see how WB can stop you if you remove all reference to the movie.

11. joabaldwin
    joabaldwin Member
    Yes, but the design is based on the tower from the film. And Shapeways already got a C&D from WB, so even if I remove all references to the brand, they can't sell it or they'd get in trouble. It's a stupid situation, but I'm just going along with it to avoid legal trouble for myself and for Shapeways.

12. lensman
    Oh, yes, I've been in that position myself here...

You might be right now, after the fact, but I believe had you sold this with no reference initially they wouldn't have had any legal position to stand on.... But then it makes it difficult to sell...

13. joabaldwin
    joabaldwin Member
    That's correct. With no reference, no one would've found it. And stupidly enough, even if I made my own tower design, something completely unique, but happened to mention the LotR brand, that would still get a C&D since they not only own the designs but any commercial use of the brand name.

14. lensman
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I don't know if you followed the thread of another maker here who designed a whole bunch of Iron Man accessories?... he got a C&D and then a job offer from Marvel! Hilarious...

15. Tresob
    Tresob Member

It should have been called the "iSee U".