Engraving Silver

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 207541_deleted, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

I seem to have all kinds of problems engraving text in my design. I've
    read the design guild lines. and it says min 0.3 mm and my font size
    1.0 mm. Why am I having problems with the engraving? What am i missing?

Are their certain fonts or something i should use?

Thanks,

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The main issue with modeling an engraving in silver is it can only be deep as it is wide. So if you text is only .25mm wide, it can only be .25mm deep which is .05mm below the minimum. So your text has to be at least .3mm wide in it's thinnest area, and no deeper than it is wide.

3. aww man...".3mm wide in it's thinnest area" that makes my text entirely to big.

Thank you for the info, do you have any recommendations on maybe what i can do?

I would hate to have to 86 the whole design because of this one problem. :(

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Engrave it post production is the only option to get it smaller.

5. Well i guess engraving post -pro isn't TOO bad. I assume it would be the same if i wanted to emboss also,
    it would have to be done post-pro also?

6. Youknowwho4eva
    It would be a little harder to add raised text but yes, if you wan't smaller than .3mm than yes.

7. I figured it would be harder...*sigh*

Thank you for all the info, now all i have to do is figure out option to take.
    Embossing so many pieces doesn't seem all that attractive.

8. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    What I do in this situation to try to keep the text the same width for the entire text but at the same time make the text wider. I just use bold text and maybe manually alter certain areas that are too thin.

What text are you trying to engrave and what do you want it engraved on?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  9. Youknowwho4eva
    I was thinking for embossing, you could also go bigger than desired, and remove material post process.

10. Hey SG

I was trying to get the words NOLA Forever engraved on the bottom part of
    my fleur de lis necklace.

Not really sure how good it would look in all bold text.

Attached Files:

11. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    You already measured it? What does the thinnest part measure? If the size is till off you can always put the words next to eachother instead of stacked?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  12. Ah, i shall try rearranging them. Not sure why i never thought of that. The thinnest part is about
    .1mm i believe. It's the part that goes across the middle of the "e"

13. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    By doing it this way you can at least double the engraving width possibly a little more since you'll have room to use a larger font size and If needed just modify both "e" letters since they appear to be the thinnest on that part going across. It shouldn't stick out or look awkward since it'll now match the rest of the letters in width.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  14. Hi

Could someone confirms how best to engraving Silver Glossy.

For example.

Got a letter 'J', which is 1mm deep.

Do I need to make sure it is 1mm wide? At the moment it is set to 0.104mm wide (received an email error, saying it is too small to print.

15. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    Oh no, that wont print well. Its not wide enough. Can you post a picture of it just to make sure. The minimum width should be no less then 0.3mm but since your text it 1mm deep you will have to make it 1mm wide. 0.8mm wide should work too. The width should not go below that throughout the entire text.

The email you received, did it specify the text was too small to print or the model? Ive never gotten an error message specifying text being too small only if the model is too small. I might be wrong but its never happened to me and I have printed detail too small but that was an error on my part. live and learn, thats why I measure everything before printing.

Last edited: May 1, 2013