Plugging pieces together - HELP!

Discussion in 'Materials' started by lorddragonmaster, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Hello,

I got my first prototype yesterday, and found some flaws with my design.

A few of the intricate details, were too close together so either a gap wasn't made, or it just blended them together.

I did print it in Strong flexible plastic, and while I bumped up the thickness significantly on any piece that was weak or broken, I would like to print in Fine Ultra Detail for my next prototype.

My issue is that the sword with the cap on the handle doesn't slide into the toys hand, so I want to remove the cap, but leave a tab for the handle to plug into the cap once it is in the figures hand.

My question is, how do I attach the cap to my model, so that it is printed as one, but can easily be broken off and attached separately? What should the diameter of the supporting piece attaching the cap to the sword be?

Also how long would you recommend the tab that plugs into the cap be? Currently it is 3mm long with a diameter of 2.5mm.

http://i.imgur.com/OaqDY.jpg

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Using WSF or FUD, the 2 parts don't need to be attached. Being so tiny, it would probably be best attaching them with a removable "sprue" much like the way pieces in a model kit are held to their from. That way they don't get lost in cleaning.