Why is this cube so exspensive

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Silverbeam, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Silverbeam
    Silverbeam Well-Known Member
    So I made a 2 inch cube with an inner wall of 1mm. why is my cube over 100.00$ dollars? I have lots of things uploaded and printed that would easily fill up several of the same sized cubes for less. So confused.

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  3. Silverbeam
    I made it hollow, that's what I said about the 1mm thickness.

This is not my first model by far.

4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    You have to make sure there is a hole or tunnel joining the inside to the outside . Otherwise Shapeways wil just ignore the inside and treat it as a solid

5. Silverbeam
    Are you sure? It doesn't seem that way on how it is worded, and not according to many of my models in the past. However I could be wrong and it is as you say, if so that would leave a lot to explore.

I will have to ask shapeways themselves to see what they say, unless you have already asked.

6. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  7. Silverbeam
    If so then they need to be more explicit in the description.

Also I cant see those links.

8. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  9. If you have a volume inside a volume, Shapeways acts as a surface modeller. If you submerged the model in water, any surface that gets wet defines the volume. The inner volume you created is ignored by since it can not get wet. Now if you drilled a hole connecting the outer surface to the inner volumes surface,and the face normals are correctly aligned, you would have both the inner surface and outer surface connected providing a uniform surface that allows the printer to detect the hollowed out area. Plus the drainage hole needed once the model is printed. I experimented with boolean difference modifiers with a smaller cube inside a cube for the proper technique, using a cylinder as the drill object. Just experiment a little, if you need any help PM me.
    Keith