Dog Bust

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by matb63, Sep 21, 2012.

1. matb63
    matb63 Member
    Hi guys, Ive been getting things printed from shape ways for a while, but this one is probably my best achievement yet.
    Every now and again, we have to look after my Brother-in-Laws dog. And one time i decided to make a 3d model bust of him. This is how that turned out.

quest3d.jpg

Recently I decided to get the little guy printed, so here is that.

questpint.jpg

What I did next was fill him with a mixture of plaster and air dry clay. To give it a more realistic weight. As i printed it hollow to save money there.
    I then primed it and copper leafed it.

Quest_copper.jpg

I was pretty happy with that, but I wanted it to look more like a 500 year old roman bust on display in the vatican or something. So I used a chemical which ages the copper, and I ended up with this. Which I'm pretty happy about.

Quest_aged.jpg

So I've managed to get hold of a base for it which should be delivered in the next few days, so keep your eyes peeled to see him mounted in all his glory.

Hope your excited as I was with the project.
    Cheers
    Matt

2. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    Hi Matt,

wow, this looks great and the patina is awesome!
    How did you "copper leafed" it and what chemicals did you use? Can you tell a few more details?

Michael

3. matb63
    matb63 Member
    Hey Michael, the copper leaf was a little tedious. It's basically super thin sheets of real copper, which you apply with a soft brush after laying down a light coat of adhesive tot he surface. All the nooks and carnies made it a little bit of a challenge, specially since it was my first time trying to leaf something.

The chemical I then used is "Sophisticated finishes, Patina Green Antiquing Solution" its basically Ammonium Chloride and Copper Sulphate, which ages the copper. That I just painted over the finished copper leaf and let it work its magic.

Hope that help,
    Cheers
    Matt

4. MichaelMueller
    Hi Matt, thanks for the details. This is really cool way to pimp plastic prints!
    You also did a great job by modelling the dog!
    Michael

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  5. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Wow! Great job!

Lincoln

6. CactusBones
    CactusBones Member
    Love this! I have been thinking about coating some of my plastic prints with stainless steel paint. I will try to remember to share here if I do.

7. MichaelMueller
  8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Excellent work. Modelled in ZBrush? Love the patina on the model.

Glenn